Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch

Why can't I listen to music downloaded on my iPod touch without wifi?

iPod touch, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 2:42 PM

It sounds like the songs have not been downloaded to the device yet. Using the new Music app - Apple Support

Listen offline - Copied from Above Link

You can download songs—including songs that you bought from the iTunes Store, added from Apple Music, or that were matched or uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match—to your device to listen to when you're not connected to the Internet:

1. Tap the More Options icon User uploaded file next to the item.
  2. Tap the download icon User uploaded file to the right of the song's artwork at the top of the More Options menu, or tap Download from the bottom of the menu.
  3. The song downloads to your device.

To see music that you downloaded to listen to offline, go to My Music. Under the Recently Added section, tap the category selector (Artists, Albums, etc.). Only Downloaded Music is at the bottom of the category list. When this setting is on, My Music shows only songs that you downloaded to your device. Turn this setting off to see all of your music, including music stored in iCloud Music Library.When you view an item that you've downloaded to your device, you'll see an offline icon User uploaded file near it, but its exact location varies. For example:

• If you download an entire album or playlist, the offline icon appears when you're looking at the album or playlist in My Music. You'll also see an offline icon when you view a compilation, but not when you view specific genres, artists, or composers.
  • If you download a song, the offline icon appears to the right of each song title.
  • If you download songs from an album, but not the entire album, the offline icon appears to the right of just the songs that you downloaded.
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2016 2:42 PM in response to cse621verizon.net

It sounds like the songs have not been downloaded to the device yet. Using the new Music app - Apple Support

Listen offline - Copied from Above Link

You can download songs—including songs that you bought from the iTunes Store, added from Apple Music, or that were matched or uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match—to your device to listen to when you're not connected to the Internet:

1. Tap the More Options icon User uploaded file next to the item.
  2. Tap the download icon User uploaded file to the right of the song's artwork at the top of the More Options menu, or tap Download from the bottom of the menu.
  3. The song downloads to your device.

To see music that you downloaded to listen to offline, go to My Music. Under the Recently Added section, tap the category selector (Artists, Albums, etc.). Only Downloaded Music is at the bottom of the category list. When this setting is on, My Music shows only songs that you downloaded to your device. Turn this setting off to see all of your music, including music stored in iCloud Music Library.When you view an item that you've downloaded to your device, you'll see an offline icon User uploaded file near it, but its exact location varies. For example:

• If you download an entire album or playlist, the offline icon appears when you're looking at the album or playlist in My Music. You'll also see an offline icon when you view a compilation, but not when you view specific genres, artists, or composers.
  • If you download a song, the offline icon appears to the right of each song title.
  • If you download songs from an album, but not the entire album, the offline icon appears to the right of just the songs that you downloaded.

Jan 15, 2016 2:52 PM in response to AJ397

Thanks! I synced my songs from my iTunes library to my iPod from my computer, that seemed to do the trick. However, now when I click on musIc icon, it only shows the pic of girl with headphones on. It does not have the music, my music or radio icon at bottom of screen. I can't see my songs. Do you know why that is? They were showing before.

Apr 3, 2016 2:24 PM in response to lllaass

Hi. I'm having the same problem. And I'm sure you're right, my iPod touch 128g is trying to stream the music. My question is, why? I do not have Apple Music, and never have. I do not use or enable the iCloud music library. And I do not use iCloud and I'm not signed into it. When I purchase something from the iTunes Store I thought it simply downloaded into my iPod or iPhone or iPad. Other than that all my music comes from direct lightning cable downloads from my MacBook Pro iTunes account into my iPod, iPhone 6 Plus or iPad Pro. I have also noticed that lately I have some songs on my playlists that are "grayed-out" and cannot be played without a wifi connection, yet they used to be available, and I assume downloaded, onto my iPod. I also notice that on a great number of my playlists there is a "download" symbol, the cloud with the arrow, at the top between the "Edit" option and the three dots for more options, yet all the songs in the playlist are downloaded onto my iPod or iPhone and can be played when wifi is off. What's more confusing still is that many of the songs that are grated out and cannot be played without wifi are song that were downloaded via cd to my MacBook Pro and then downloaded via cable to my iPhone or iPod' they never came from the iTunes Store to begin with. Lastly, I've noticed that some of my playlists suddenly have custom colored backgrounds while some are simply the pain white playlists usually are' needless to say, I have not done anything of which I'm aware to create these custom colors. FYI: I'm running iOS 9.3.1 on all devices.

ANy thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated and I apologize in advance if this is something simple that I've overlooked or that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks,

David

Apr 28, 2016 6:34 AM in response to cse621verizon.net

HI

WHat you are basically telling me is that I will eventually need to subscribe to Apple Music. That is not fair. I have paid for my music and I want to listen to it whereever and whenever I want. I have no illegal songs on my list, all approximately 900 of them. Look, iPod is for listening to music basically. Will someone explain to me in layman' terms how to do it: By drag and drop, would be the easiest. What you are saying is that I have to go to each of the 900 sings and download them individually for the icon to appear. I see it in grey and not red as shown in this discussion. Does that mean anything? Once downloaded, and the icon appears then disappears again. Sorry to say, guys, but this sounds like hogwash. Can someone give me a sensible solution, please?

THanks

Apr 28, 2016 6:46 AM in response to BrianKYJ

First:

View only music stored on iPod touch. Tap My Music, tap the sorting menu, then turn on Only Downloaded Music.

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync. To sync

iTunes: Syncing media content to iOS devices and iPod

Try syncing using the manual method

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device

Apr 28, 2016 8:48 AM in response to cse621verizon.net

Hi

I did exactly as explained above. I sync'd from iTunes to e iPod. On iTunes all the songs appear on the list my device. On the iPod in he Music app I noticed at the top of the screen under the My Music title that "Downloading 898 songs". I pressed on that and a new screen opened up with the list of all the songs and to the right the moving circle appears to it's right. This obviously means that the songs are still downloading. Strange, it's been an hour and the the songs are still downloading. Moving down the list I see that none of he songs have actually downloaded. When I press Done and go down the list of Artists I find the songswith the grey ticked devices icon next to each. This is supposedly the sign of the song being able to be played offline, right? However it's still downloading according to the previous screen.

l Hope it's not going to take all night. Am I on the right path?

THanks

Brian

Apr 29, 2016 7:45 AM in response to lllaass

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sorry to take up so mucyh space, but here is the thing:

- I see the list of songs on my iPod. And at the top it is telling me that I'm "downloading 898 songs".

- I tap on that line and the second screen appears with the list of songs appear with the moving circles next to each song.

- I guest that I need to keep the iPod attached for it to carry on downloading. That's how I left for about twelve hours. Nothing moved.

- Is it stuck or does it take a long time to download 898 songs? In fact I detached the iPod from the PC about an hour ago and nothing has changed: Still downloading 898 songs and circles still moving.

- In My MusicI go to the songs and there is an icon with a ticked iPod next to most of the songs. What does that mean?

- When will I know that I can leave the confines of my network and listen to the songs offline?

iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.