Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add imessage application to my macbook pro?

How can I add the imessage application to my macbook pro? is there a way to download an app so I can set up my phone on my computer?

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 3:57 PM

What OS X are you running on the Mac? Messages is a core app on OS X Mountain Lion and later.

Cheers,

GB

8 replies

Jan 14, 2016 3:58 PM in response to kfur11

To get the Messages app, yes. Have you checked the App Store to see if there are any Text Apps that you can use? Type "Text Apps" in the search bar to see what is available. Not sure how many of them would be compatible with Snow Leopard, however.

Sorry, I don't have more info. Perhaps one of our other knowledgeable contributors will be able to help.... 😟

Best of luck,

GB

Jan 14, 2016 5:26 PM in response to kfur11

Well, if it is available in the App Store, and it downloads to your computer, then it won't mess it up. And if it is not to your liking, it is just a matter of moving it to the Trash to get rid of it.

If there is an Apple Store near you, I would recommend taking your Macbook Pro to the store to see what they would recommend. If your computer can support the latest OS X, they would be able to help you to update it, or may be able to help you to determine the best app for your needs. Make a Genius Bar appointment (call the store to set one up), and be sure to back up your computer to Time Machine before going in.

You can also take a look at this support article that provides links for each of the steps you would need to take to determine if your machine can be upgraded, and to then upgrade it:

https://www.apple.com/support/snowleopard/

Cheers,

GB

Jan 15, 2016 12:07 PM in response to kfur11

Hi,

The OS X versions before Mountain Lion came with iChat.

This can join the AIM Service, use Jabber IDs and in Lion (OS X 10.7.x) it can also use Yahoo IDs.

Google email IDs are also Jabber IDs if you enable GoogleTalk/Hangouts on your Google Account and set up the iChat app with a Google option.

Apple IDs issued by Apple (@Mac.com, @me.com if linked to iCloud and @icloud.com IDs themselves) can be used as Valid AIM Screen Names.

You just chose to set up an AIM/AOL account and use he same details as you do with Apple. (this is based on a 15 year old agreement with AIM).

If you have Buddies with similar accounts on their Messages app then you can chat to them.

iMessage is a Account type in the App on the Mac that can send iMessages as they get called via the iMessages server to either other Macs using the Messages app or iOS devices that might be using the Apple ID or the iPhone number.

Yahoo for Mac can be downloaded but is effectively discontinued.

The AIM for Mac applications is the same.

User uploaded file

8:07 pm Friday; January 15, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How can I add imessage application to my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.