Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV4 buffering

I know there are other posts on this subject but the latest posting is from over a month ago and I didn't find any solution to this problem so I decided to start a new thread.

I just bought an ATV4 using a gift card I got for Christmas. I was contemplating getting a ATV3 and using the money left over for a iTunes gift card to buy/rent some movies/apps but decided to get the newest version. Once I got it home and set up and started using it I immediately ran into problems with buffering when streaming from my laptop but didn't seem to occur when I played my movie directly from the ATV. I looked online and found numerous posts from others having the same problem. After reading the posts and finding no real answers I decided to try and update the software. I had an issue with my Dad's ATV, previous version, over the holidays and resolved it by updating the OS. So I did on mine, and sure enough there was an update available. Once I updated the OS and tested it, things seemed to be working. Then today as I was getting used to it more I turned on home sharing, something I didn't have turned on the first day. Then when I played a movie it began buffering again, both when played from my Macbook and when played directly from the ATV. I turned off home sharing and the problem seemed to go away but of course so did my music and photos I had shared.

So I am wondering if anyone has discovered a solution, or found the same issue I have with home sharing affecting the buffering of movies played on the ATV?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 11:54 PM

7 replies

Jan 15, 2016 3:30 AM in response to s49

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Jan 15, 2016 1:44 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Would you suggest leaving my router, Time Machine, on auto for the channels, or dedicate one band for the ATV and put it on a specific channel? I only have the ATV, my iphone and Macbook on my wifi network. There is another network on the router coming into the house but I don't use it. Could having the time machine running off the cable router affect things?

Jan 17, 2016 8:33 PM in response to Winston Churchill

After switching my computer to the 5ghz wifi I noticed it was significantly slower. So I put it back on the 2.4 wifi. But tonight I notice when I run a speed test my computer is around 20 while my apple tv is around 6. Not sure what else I can try. I am in the same room as the atv so signal can't be the difference.

ATV4 buffering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.