Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing from Photos, vertical lines when printing multiple images on a page

I switched from iPhoto to Photos. Now I am having a problem printing (HP Photosmart Premium 309c) pages with multiple photos for my annual calendar. Often the photo on the right will have vertical lines. I'm using PS Elements 14. I've been doing this for years and I'm pretty sure the problem is related to Photos and the fact that my photos are now in the cloud and not on my Mac.

I recently took iPhoto library off my hard drive - because I don't have enough space on my Air.

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 5:09 AM

14 replies

Jan 16, 2016 11:23 AM in response to fqshjgue

Hello ,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that whenever you're printing photographs from the Photos application on your Mac, that lines are appearing in the resulting printed image. The following steps are going to help isolate whether the issue is with Photos or the printer itself. To get started, please print one of the photographs from the Photos app to confirm a specific photo results in lines being on the printed copy. After finding that photo, please export the original photo from the Photos app to your desktop, open the photo in Preview, and then print that photo.

Export photos in their original format

1. Select the photos you want to export.

2. Choose File > Export > Export Unmodified Original.

3. Click Export.

4. Choose where to save the exported photo files, then click Export Originals.

Please report back with the results of these steps so we may further assist you.

Take care.

Jan 16, 2016 12:19 PM in response to Nubz N.

Hi Nubz,

I'm not printing single photos, I'm printing pages created in Photoshop Elements with 1-4 photos. When I did what you said the unmodified original was a PE file, which printed with lines, as did the jpg I printed directly from Photos.

As I said, I've done this for a few years, using PE and iPhoto and the same printer, and I never had this problem before.

When I tested 2 single photos, they both had lines when exported and printed from Preview, but the printouts directly from Photos did not seem to have lines.

(Now I'm printing on plain paper but before I was using photo paper.)

Anyway, thanks.

Jan 17, 2016 7:01 AM in response to clodo9

Hi Clodo9 (is that like cloud 9?)

Yes I'm using El Capitan, 10.11.2, and updates for my HP printer are included in the Mac software update. So maybe the problem is El Capitan and not Photos. I hadn't thought of that. My printer is old (2009) and except for this problem is working fine, but at this point I think I probably have to get a new printer. My 8 calendars for 2016 are printed out - they just won't be as sharp as usual, which is a big disappointment considering how much time I spent. I probably won't need to do this kind of printing for the near future, probably not until next year's calendar.

Jan 17, 2016 8:47 AM in response to fqshjgue

That tell us the master image file is either corrupted or it's a system issue.

Download and install the printer drivers from this HP page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-Premium-All-in-One -Printer-series---C3/3737192/model/37371…

Go to the System/Printer preference pane and remove the current printer, Download, install, reboot and add the printer back in the System/Printer preference pane. Then give it another go.

If that fails take the exported original files to another Mac and see if it will print from there correctly or not.

Jan 17, 2016 12:53 PM in response to Old Toad

I did delete and add my printer, which I had already tried; this time I did it after downloading the driver. Nothing changed. I will say that one thing that happens when printing from Photos a file that has 3 images is that 2 might print fine and the 3rd have vertical lines, but it is not the same photo that comes out striped every time.

Also, I printed out one of my files from last year. When I printed from PE each of 3 images had widely spaced very thin vertical lines - unlike last year, when printing was fine from PE. But when I printed from Photos today it printed perfectly.

Since last year, the changes are: Photos, El Capitan, and Photoshop Elements 14 instead of 11 although I did reinstall PE 11 and did a couple of files using that and it didn't help - so I think that rules out Photoshop elements.

Jan 17, 2016 2:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Update: when I did the previous test, all prints were done on plain paper. Although all the problems I initially reported were prints on photo paper

However, I decided to redo one of my calendar pages so I created a new file in PE with 3 previously unused photos and printed from Photos and it came out fine! I was going to say maybe installing the driver helped but this latest result could be happenstance since a couple of my files did print out with no photos with lines.

For now I will stop experimenting.

Thanks for your help Old Toad.

But since you've been so helpful, I have another question. I don't want my full name to come up in the forum but I couldn't figure out where to change it.

Jan 20, 2016 1:17 PM in response to fqshjgue

you write " I don't want my full name to come up in the forum ".

your apple id is constituded by two things:

1-your email address

2-PLUS your password .

"susan brodrick" is the username you chose when you first created your Apple ID.

Now, because only one username is allowed per apple id, you can't change it.

But there is a workaround : creating another apple id, with a different username. This is easily done by creating another email address ( in the same email provider you're already with, or another ), let's say " forumforum@gmail.com ",

then create another apple id, by using this new email address ( plus new password ), and choosing a new username , was it " qwerty1234" or whatever.

Use this new apple id only on the forum so as not to "mix up" your "REAL" account. Such "parallel" email accounts are perfectly "legit", and are often used to, say separate your business from your personal email accounts.

When logging in the forum, if your "standard" email address appears, replace it by your "alternate" email account, and type in the appropriate password.

printing from Photos, vertical lines when printing multiple images on a page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.