Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Contacts

Hi,

Yesterday setup a new Iphone from a recent Icloud backup. The setup was fairly smooth and successful. Today I notice that the contacts with whom I have been talking and texting yesterday are missing. Later realised many of my contacts are missing. So I erased all the contents and took the same backup again.

Voila ! I got all my contacts back. But within 10mins I lost some contacts again. Not sure why this is happenning. Can anyone help me on restoring all my contacts and break this deletion process ?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 9:59 AM

How are you syncing your contacts, through iCloud or through an email account?

9 replies

Jan 19, 2016 1:08 AM in response to AmishCake

Hi Amish,

Thx for your reply. I think, it is some issue related to syncing. I restored from backup again and did not configure any email accounts yet. All my contacts are available now. How do I proceed further with syncing ? I guess the cloud has already lost contacts but the backup still has it. How do I update the cloud with my cloud backup contacts ?

Jan 22, 2016 2:22 AM in response to margamnaresh

Hi,

I know the root cause for this issue now. The contacts were syncing through an email account. But that email account I cannot use it anymore as it is my earlier company email. If I delete the email account on phone even then the contacts are getting lost.

I have taken the backup again just now. Can anyone let me know how to come out of this cycle where in, I need all my contacts but don't want the email account.

Also, I have only 48 contacts when I login at https://www.icloud.com/#contacts 😟 😢

Feb 3, 2016 12:54 PM in response to AmishCake

Hi,

I have around 700 contacts and can see only 48 in icloud/contacts. I can still access the exchange account on my local PC and all the contacts are visible there.

Is there a way where I can export from exchange account and import the contacts to icloud ?

As mentioned earlier, I took the old backup again and all the contacts are now available on my iphone. But I haven't deleted the exchange account yet and that is the reason they are still there. Once I delete the exchange account in my iphone , I lose all the contacts 😠

Feb 4, 2016 6:33 AM in response to margamnaresh

If you can open the email account in Outlook, you can export the contacts into Excel and import them into another email account. That is the only way I can think of right now to get those contacts out of your Exchange account. Maybe someone else here can chime in with another suggestion, but this really should have been done before your account was closed.

Missing Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.