Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is a process called "soagent" eating up my CPU?

Yesterday I noticed that the fan on my MacBook Pro was going non-stop, making a ton of noise, and my machine's performance had slowed to a crawl. I opened up Activity Monitor to find that a process called "soagent" was using about 106% of my Mac's CPU resources, like in this screen shot.

User uploaded file

I've force quit the process several times, but it always comes back to life and grabs those processor resources, even when I have all apps closed.

Anybody have any idea what this "soagent" is related to, or what it is used for? I'm having difficulty troubleshooting.

My OS is 10.11.2.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 1 TB, 16 GB, 2.8 GHz i7, Iris Pro

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 8:34 AM

I don't have time to do a lot of research, but 'll add my two cents if it helps.

We can infer from its name that this is a UNIX agent that manages SOA - service oriented architecture processes - basically a web services handler (SOAP/rest).

So it is likely being exercised by a process that accesses data (synch, get whatever) from the web via APIs. It could be a callendar, contacts, mail (OWA is web services) etc.

you could have a large sync taking place, but essentially that will end. Else, there is something wrong causing it to churn - sometimes a data format update causes the index to be mis-read, adn the syncing or whatever just continues (thinks its not done).

Bottom line, look for ANOTHER process - a program you recognize that has some degree of CPU that is coincident with the soaagent. They may well be correlated and you can narrow down what's going on.

for the record, mine is loaded but using 0.0% CPU

G

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2016 8:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I don't have time to do a lot of research, but 'll add my two cents if it helps.

We can infer from its name that this is a UNIX agent that manages SOA - service oriented architecture processes - basically a web services handler (SOAP/rest).

So it is likely being exercised by a process that accesses data (synch, get whatever) from the web via APIs. It could be a callendar, contacts, mail (OWA is web services) etc.

you could have a large sync taking place, but essentially that will end. Else, there is something wrong causing it to churn - sometimes a data format update causes the index to be mis-read, adn the syncing or whatever just continues (thinks its not done).

Bottom line, look for ANOTHER process - a program you recognize that has some degree of CPU that is coincident with the soaagent. They may well be correlated and you can narrow down what's going on.

for the record, mine is loaded but using 0.0% CPU

G

Jan 15, 2016 7:43 AM in response to Andrew Robulack

I was having the same problem (though with Yosemite). The referenced thread suggested the problem might be with syncing Google contacts. I think, at least in my case, that was correct. I'd changed to two-factor authentication for Google a while back and had never updated my account on my Mac. Updated everything and the soagent problem seems to have gone away (fingers crossed!).

Jan 16, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Grant Lenahan

Grant Lenahan wrote:

As I noted above, once I resolved a problem with my Google account sync, the soagent problem disappeared. But, thank you. Your link to the macinside thread was very helpful.

Jan 16, 2016 8:43 AM in response to Andrew Robulack

Thanks, everyone, for the tremendously helpful input.

Indeed, this problem is related to a Google Apps account. I don't use two-factor authentication, though.

It seemed, at first, related to the address book. I had a look and, despite all the CPU over-use, there was no syncing going on. The contacts in my Contacts app on my Mac and the contacts in the Google App interface were completely different. So I exported the contacts out of my Contacts app on my Mac, then deleted the Google Apps account from my Mac.

In the web interface I imported the contacts into Google Apps, then went through them and sorted out some problems.

Then I re-added the Google Apps account to my Mac. Of course, the initial sync took some time and a lot of computer resources. The original "soagent" problem has been reduced (it will only peak, along with another process, "callservicesd" to 75% or so from time to time, so you were right, Grant, there was another culprit at play). But that's still not okay. The new problem now is that when Mail is open, it constantly utilizes 175% of my CPU. This slows the machine and kills the battery nearly instantly.

So the new problem is: how do I get this Google Apps account to play nice with my Mac?

But that's a problem for an entirely new threat, methinks. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Jan 17, 2016 4:35 AM in response to Andrew Robulack

Hi Andrew,

I read that you solved the soagent issue, but now you are fighting against the mac mail client issue... good luck with it, but just to let you (and everybody else who is reading this post) know it, since I had installed 10.11.2 I experienced a lot of problem working with my MBA. Only during last week, I finally have been able to solve those problems. Now I feel more comfortable with my MAC, but I have been really thinking about moving to something different (linux or evenly windows 😝) because I wasn't able to work without experiencing those issues during my job. So often I needed to stop because I was hearing noise from my CPU fan, looking at the activity monitor icon and noticing that there was an intensive usage of my CPU due to the processes soagent and also another one named callsericesd (maybe is not your case) that was causing two of the four available I5 cores were used at 100%. And the only way to get rid about of that was to force stop both processes. I also opened a couple of SR with Apple (after installing 10.11.2) and they remotely connected with me, but at the end they haven't been able to solve my issue. So, day by day, this has been decreasing my confidence in Apple products, and it also represented something bad for my professional reputation 😠 ... I mean, it was a shame seeing myself imprecating against my laptop... killing processes... rebooting... rebooting, yes! something normally i did not more than a couple of time every month and above ten time every day after 10.11.2, what a mess!

So, about soagent and callservicesd, finally I solved doing what has been suggested here Re: Problems with callservicesd and soagent thanks to alecthomas.

What I did it was:

• I opened system preferences and deleted all the internet accounts I had 😐

when you do it, you lose all your messages from your mac mail app, so save them to a local folder you can create in mail before to proceed with the account deletion. Same thing if you are syncing your contacts: export/save all your contacts before proceed, otherwise you might lose them.

• rebooted my MacBook Air (something I learned well during the last month)
  • after the reboot, I recreated all my internet accounts

I also found someone who said to go in (home)/Library/Preferences/... and delete some xxx.plist files there, but I didn't need to touch anything there.

After I recreated my internet account to sync my personal gmail account, the first sync with google needed to download thousands of emails from there, so I think is more than expected that it will consume time, band (internet connection) and CPU resources, but now all the problems with soagent and callservicesd has gone and I'm happy again with my MBA.

About you current problem with the OSX Mail app, I solved other problems I started experiencing after updating to 10.11.2, by disabling the SIP protection which has been introduced by 10.11.2. I don't know, but you may try it. If you don't solve the problem you can re-enable SIP protection on OSX. Currently I disabled SIP and I'm waiting for 10.11.3 to see if I can enable it without problems, but I will wait at least one month before applying any new update to my MBA monitoring the community to see if there are any new issues with them.

Hoping to help everyone who suffered like me after 10.11.2 😉

Feb 1, 2016 8:44 AM in response to Andrew Robulack

So I've sort of figured out a few things.

If I leave the situation alone, it clears up in a few days on its own. So there seems to be some sort of long-term sync or something that goes on in the background that takes time to settle. I was having the trouble, but had to ignore my MacBook for a few days last week to attend a conference. When I came back, the problem was gone. But…

If I have the "Messages" functionality turned on for any Google account, even my personal one, these processes explode. So I'm currently working with the theory that the OS X Messages app has problems with Jabber.

Whatever is going on, as several people have posted, Mac OS X and Google services do not get along very well!

Why is a process called "soagent" eating up my CPU?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.