Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i access system preferences?

How do I access system preferences for settings?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Hello divadoll50,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you want to access the System Preferences on your Mac. To open them, simply click on the  in the top left corner of your screen, and then select System Preferences.

To open System Preferences, you can click the System Preferences icon User uploaded file in the Dock or choose Apple menu > System Preferences.

When you open System Preferences, you see a grid of icons. Your icons may vary depending on your system and any apps you have installed.

User uploaded file

Click an icon to open a preference pane, where you can change your settings. If the settings are dimmed and the lock icon User uploaded file in the bottom of the window is locked, click the icon, then type the administrator password to make your changes.

User uploaded file

Click the Show All button User uploaded file to return to the preference icons, or click and hold it to see the icons in a list. Choose one from the list to go straight to that preference pane.

Find settings in System Preferences

OS X Yosemite: Customize your Mac in System Preferences

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2016 2:52 PM in response to divadoll50

Hello divadoll50,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you want to access the System Preferences on your Mac. To open them, simply click on the  in the top left corner of your screen, and then select System Preferences.

To open System Preferences, you can click the System Preferences icon User uploaded file in the Dock or choose Apple menu > System Preferences.

When you open System Preferences, you see a grid of icons. Your icons may vary depending on your system and any apps you have installed.

User uploaded file

Click an icon to open a preference pane, where you can change your settings. If the settings are dimmed and the lock icon User uploaded file in the bottom of the window is locked, click the icon, then type the administrator password to make your changes.

User uploaded file

Click the Show All button User uploaded file to return to the preference icons, or click and hold it to see the icons in a list. Choose one from the list to go straight to that preference pane.

Find settings in System Preferences

OS X Yosemite: Customize your Mac in System Preferences

Take care.

how do i access system preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.