Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro turns on by itself

I replaced the Apple keyboard and then replaced the iPad pro....it still turns on by itself when in the viewing position in the keyboard cover.

Is there anything I can do?

iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 9:38 AM

12 replies

Jun 21, 2017 4:15 PM in response to D.Cohen

I have this problem as well. It recently started after having my iPad Pro and cover for over a year. When it turns itself on - it flashes and 'bings' crazily (and loudly) - a problem, I recently discovered, when going through airport security.

i have to physically turn it off to get it to stop.

Is the problem resolved when you test the iPad?

Jan 15, 2016 9:41 AM in response to Raymillerrealty

Try a reset. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

As a final step, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your device. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your device needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If these steps don't work, contact Apple and ask for help.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/contact/

Feb 1, 2016 9:23 AM in response to Raymillerrealty

i don't know if this helps, my ipad pro has the same problem turns on randomly to password entry screen then it goes back to sleep in the normal amount of time it would turn back off if i pushed the home or power button.

For me this only happens when i have the apple smart keyboard case set up to prop the ipad pro up (keyboard folded up and against the back of ipad pro) if i just open the keyboard case and flip it so it is fully flapped back like a non keyboard case would be and then prop it up against something else, it does not turn on randomly at all. for me this is a constant the only time it happens for me is in what i described above.

The keyboard case has multiple magnets, one that attaches it to the ipad pro, one at end to wake the ipad pro, and one towards the middle to hold keyboard in place. i wonder if its multiple magnets combined in close proximity are waking it up through what is called "phantom electric" (a strong magnetic field) that triggers it to turn on. (i am aware that the magnet that switches it on is on the right side of the ipad pro) i don't know but i'm sure soon there may be a fix since this problem is starting to show up everywhere.

a big clue of the problem here could be established if a great amount here in this post and others all have smart keyboard cases.

iPad Pro turns on by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.