Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled โ€œMade for Businessโ€ will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server Admin & SpamAssassin configuration

At Server Admin (mail, settings, filters) I can set "Junk mail messages should be 'Bounced'". In the mail documentation this is described as

Bounced: Will send the message back to the sender. You can optionally send
an email notification of the bounce to some email account, probably the
postmaster.

So what is more recommended... "Delete" or "Bounced" (I can trust my mail filter so far that no false positives are generated, therefore just marking spam is an obsolete action for my purpose) ?

I feel that when I use "Bounced", such returned mails could come back to me (e.g. if the original sender does not exist or mail server refuses to accept my returned mail).

And in worst case, can't this lead into an endless loop that sends back and forth messages between my server and a server I sent the returned mail to ?

Is this a potential risk ? What are your settings and how do they work for you ?

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 21, 2006 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2006 12:00 PM

So what is more recommended... "Delete" or "Bounced"
(I can trust my mail filter so far that no false
positives are generated, therefore just marking spam
is an obsolete action for my purpose) ?

You have already answered your own question, haven't you? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bouncing spam is always a bad idea and creates unnecessary network traffic.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2006 12:00 PM in response to tobias Eichner

So what is more recommended... "Delete" or "Bounced"
(I can trust my mail filter so far that no false
positives are generated, therefore just marking spam
is an obsolete action for my purpose) ?

You have already answered your own question, haven't you? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bouncing spam is always a bad idea and creates unnecessary network traffic.

Nov 21, 2006 1:34 PM in response to pterobyte

Well, I don't know exactly how a spammer works (since I'm not tried this business myself ๐Ÿ˜‰ but I know that people dealing with address databases regularly scan their lists against server problems.

The reason is simply that they can sell working e-mail addresses much more expensive than bulk lists of addresses.

And while bulk address lists are sent often by novice spammers not taking care much, I guess that for premium lists, spammers take more efforts to get their message through mail filters - and these may be such coming through right into my inbox.

Anyway, I'm also at the same point of view that bouncing messages just creates problems and the effect I said above may not worth the efforts.

But I'm eager to hear other people's experiences and ways they handle this ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll close this "question" since it not really was one, but if somebody wishes to say something or give me more tips, don't hesitate ๐Ÿ™‚

Nov 22, 2006 1:10 AM in response to davidh

@davidh: I'm not sure what you intend to say with your posting. Before taking "good advice" I think it is not a bad idea to talk about and get different opinions, is ? ๐Ÿ™‚

So while you can state that bouncing mails generates wasted resources also my statement above has some truth in it (at least I'm convinced from me... so far ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW: I had set and have set to delete spam without bouncing it back. But it had be possible that there are some advantages of bouncing I was not aware and this is the reason for this thread.

Server Admin & SpamAssassin configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.