Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod Nano wouldn't download songs from Apple

Was syncing music from Macbook to iPod Nano. Got an error message that some Apple songs couldn't transfer. Why not and what should I do?

iPod nano (7th generation), iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 12:11 PM

7 replies

Jan 15, 2016 4:56 PM in response to CreeJoy

Songs downloaded from the Apple Music streaming service are subscribed, not owned. Apple Music downloads use DRM (copy protection) as required by the content producers. iPods (that are not iPod touch) cannot sync Apple Music downloads because they do not have an Internet connection, which is needed to verify your Apple Music subscription when playing song.

Jan 24, 2016 9:36 AM in response to mike_1978

Enforcing DRM is expensive. If it was up to Apple, there would be no DRM. The content producers specify the requirements for Apple Music's DRM, and Apple implements it. Apple's motivation is to sell hardware and minimize service restrictions that hinder sales. The content producer's motivation is to maximize subscription-based revenue while minimizing piracy through restrictions. Apple Music exists as a compromise between those two opposing goals, and it apparently does not include support for iPods, except for iPod touch.

iPod touch is a great device, amazingly thin and light (especially compared to current "big" iPhones). I have an iPod nano that I use for running, but I also have an iPod touch (5th gen) that I use to watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, and to stream Apple Music. For me, it's the ideal all-purpose hand-held media player. Big enough to watch (and enjoy) videos comfortably. Small and light enough to carry around easily for audio streaming.

ipod Nano wouldn't download songs from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.