Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autoswitch between 60hz and 50hz?

Hi,

Can I get my Apple TV 4 to autoswitch between framerate?

Netflix is using 60hz and local tv app's are using 50hz.

When selecting 1080P auto it always outputs 60hz, which is fine when watching movies from iTunes or Netflix, but results in very bad framedropping, judder/lagging picture when using local tv app like DR.nu..

same problem with AirPlay.

IT can't be right, that I have to set my framerate manually everytime??

Apple TV, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 3:11 PM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2017 5:21 PM in response to Clemmeboy

This is an ongoing issue just affecting the ATV4. I have an ATV2 and ATV3 which play both 50 and 60Hz material equally well even though they play everything at 60Hz and I can barely tell which rate the source is running at. Their conversion of 50->60 seems to be much better than the ATV4 can manage which is a shame because I have a lot of material at both rates and manually switching between 50 and 60hz just to watch a particular program is pitiful. It should either be automatic, or the conversion should be as good as the earlier ATVs can do.

May 1, 2016 3:31 AM in response to Clemmeboy

Suggest you submit a product request for your situation here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Also submit a suggestion to Netflix since their content and your local frame rate seem to be the conflict. The Apple TV's frame rate is set by you based on your local content frame rate. Perhaps Netflix should offer content in multiple frame rates to accomodate certain markets.

Having the ATV switch framerates automatically based on the content could cause the video to suddenly disappear if the TV did not support that setting. The ATV does not communicate with your TV to determine it's capabilities.

Autoswitch between 60hz and 50hz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.