Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting data in icloud for space

So, I've hit the limit on my free allotted iphone 4 space (4.9 GB on the dot). I'd LOVE to delete some app backup data so I can alleviate this, but I've been fighting it for hours to no avail. I keep getting ' " " backups cannot be turned off at this time' no matter what I do. I can't even delete the backup and try again because 'This backup cannot be deleted because it is in use.'

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 9:08 PM

1 reply

Jan 17, 2016 7:18 AM in response to I try I make no promises

Hello I try I make no promises,

The resource below explains how to manage your iCloud storage. If you are unable to delete your backup from the iPhone directly, you can use your Mac to delete it. I've highlighted the key information below. Click on the link for complete information about ways to free up space.

Manage your iCloud storage

Use these steps to see how much iCloud storage is available in your account:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
    • If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
  • On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Manage.
  • On your PC, open iCloud for Windows, then click Manage.

Before you delete anything, you might want to archive or make copies of your iCloud data.

Delete backups and turn off Backup for your device

Use the steps below for your device.

iOS

1. Tap Settings > iCloud.
    • If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Storage > Manage Storage.
    • If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Storage & Backup, then tap Manage Storage.
  2. Tap the name of your iOS device.
  3. Tap Delete Backup. When you're asked to confirm, choose Turn Off & Delete to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that iOS device from iCloud. When you delete a backup, it also turns off backup of your iOS device.

OS X

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Manage and select Backups.
  3. Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. When you're asked to confirm, choose Delete if you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud. When you delete a backup, it also turns off backup of your device.

Learn more about iCloud storage plans or get help using iCloud storage.

Take care,

Deleting data in icloud for space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.