Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting Duplicate Photos in Compound Clip with Movement (Error/Bug)

I'm running FCPX 10.2.2 on El Capitan 10.11.2 -- System Specs are: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.5GHZ i7 / 16GB DDR3

Context: I've taken 71 photos (6000x4000px each / .jpg) which were placed on my FCPX timeline in order to serve as the beginning of the night time lapse movie.

The Problem: Because I've only taken 71 photos and I needed about 4x that to fill the gap and coincide with the music I had to duplicate the group of 71 photos 4 times. Also, because I wanted to add some type of motion to the clip, I decided to put all of the 284 pictures in a compound clip and add Ken Burns. When I do that the frame "resets" at the end of each 71 photo set (which are nestled in a compound clip with the other photos). This becomes a very jarring experience with frame re-sizing very suddenly back and forth.

Here is a video I uploaded which shows the frame jumping: https://youtu.be/ZPgPybpi4YQ

Here is my Workflow which leads to the frame jumping: https://youtu.be/22S-LSnheEI

Troubleshooting: I read that I should not use photos that were large than 4000px so I resized all of the pics to 4000x2000px and the same things happens.

Is this a FCPX bug? Is there anything I can do to avoid this frame jumping?

Update: I'm sure it is a bug because when I tried again (for the 10th time) it just played smoothly and the pan moved flawlessly through the clip; however, when I tried to play through it for the 11th time, the pan started to jump at the end of each set of 71 photos (within the compound clip).

Thanks

Mike

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 9:23 PM

28 replies

Jan 15, 2016 9:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

yeah, when I play it back in the timeline (not in the compound and without ken burns / scale keyframing) it plays perfect.

When I use Ken Burns or do some keyframeing to the scale (within a compound) the clip starts to jump at the end of each sequence of 71 pictures. It looks as though its being reset each time to where the movement started from.

Jan 16, 2016 6:37 AM in response to mike19145

I don't have the stop motion stills you have, but using plain stills, I can't reproduce the problem when using the Crop/Ken Burns function. The push applied to the compound is continuous throughout, even though the compound is made up of four groups of 71 images repeated. May be it's specific to this media and the way it's made, but unfortunately I can't test that.

Jan 16, 2016 6:41 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for checking. I did some testing myself and found that if I ran the batch of 284 (prior to any work in FCPX) through Automator and changed their names to be in sequential order from 1-284, the movement in FCPX works flawlessly.

Do you have any recommendations on how I could test it further so I don't have to do that Automator step?

The only thing I do (pre FCPX) to my images is import the raw files into Adobe Bridge and do some color correcting prior to exporting out as .jpeg

PS: If you are willing and able to test the images I've used, I've uploaded them to Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2U_HSUz1QiQV2RsUWJNNDVvYTg&usp=sharing). If they are in fact the images, I can isolate the problem to either the post processing or the SDHC.

Thanks

Feb 7, 2016 8:40 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom,

So I just got off the phone with Kyle at Apple and we wet through this issue. I provided him with the same pictures that I gave you and he ran through the same workflow which resulted in the same video-skipping issue.

As of now the issue is going to be escalated internally at Apple to see why this is occurring.

It seems that your specific workflow somehow avoided the issue, which seems to be a bug in the software.

Would it be possible to provide a video of your workflow?

Thanks

Putting Duplicate Photos in Compound Clip with Movement (Error/Bug)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.