Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook crashes (blank or colorful screen) with El Capitan

Hi there,

I've got a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15" (the one with two graphics chips that can be switched, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M).

Ever since I installed El Capitan (Version 10.11.2 (15C50) ), my MacBook crashes and I need to reboot. More specifically, my screen goes blank from time to time (I can reproduce it), or it gets random colors like in the screenshot below; the bright block is the mouse cursor, which I still can move - but that's it, I need to reboot. Even the brightness or volume up/down keys have no effect.

User uploaded file

I can consistently reproduce the failure by opening a PDF in Preview and zooming all the way in; at some point, when zoomed in more than around 1000%, the screen will go blank and I need to reboot. But the failure happens not only in Preview; the colorful screen happened when copying files.

This failure never happened before El Capitan.

I did occur similar failures way back some 4 years or so ago with a previous MacOS, forgot which one; it was a known HW failure and Apple replaced my mainboard for free back then - no problems ever since. Back then, it also helped to use gfxCardStatus and switch to Intel only. But with El Capitan, either the Intel only was overridden, or the tool doesn't help.

I'd appreciate any help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2016 11:12 PM

3 replies

Jan 16, 2016 9:27 AM in response to MacEndeavor

You have the MacBookPro6,2—the Edsel of Macs. It may have the logic-board defect that was covered by a recall program that has now ended.

The model was discontinued in February 2011. As of five years from that date, it will be classified by Apple as a "vintage product." That means Apple will most likely refuse to service it (but see the exceptions on the linked page.) In that case, you would have to go to an independent service provider. The part may no longer be available, or the repair may not be cost-effective.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider, to have the machine tested. The routine hardware diagnostics used by service providers do not detect the fault. There is a specific test for this issue that Apple calls "VST" (for "Video Switching Test.") Ask for it. A "Failed" result means that the fault is present.

You may be quoted a price of about $350 (in the U.S.) for a "depot repair," which involves shipping the unit to a central repair facility and takes about two weeks. For that flat fee, anything found wrong with it should be fixed, not just the logic board.

Sometimes the replacement part is also defective, so be prepared for that possibility. If you decide to pay for a new logic board, test thoroughly during the 90-day warranty period on the repair. Some owners have reported that they went through as many as three replacement boards before getting one that worked.

If you don't want to pay for the repair, you may (or may not) be able to work around the problem by disabling automatic graphics switching. To use the discrete graphics processor, you'll need a third-party utility to switch to it manually.

Often the problems start after an OS upgrade. If the upgrade was recent, and you have backups, then you can revert to a previous OS X version.

Jan 17, 2016 12:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your detailed answer. And I did like the "Edsel" comment. ;-)

Indeed, I took place in the recall program that you mentioned and got a new logic board a few years ago.

As the MacBook is more than five years old, I wouldn't want to invest another $350 - even though otherwise the MacBook is in great shape and I'd like to keep it a bit longer.

I have deactivated graphics switching already and use the discrete graphics via the third party tool you mention (gfxCardStatus).

And as mentioned, the failure didn't happen in Mavericks - only in El Capitan. So I'm still hoping that there's another workaround.

MacBook crashes (blank or colorful screen) with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.