Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

midi keyboard software?

Hi, is there a program that I can use to play an Akai usb keyboard through a g3 imac with 10.4? I don't need fancy features such as Ableton Live provides -- just a way to make sound basically! Thanks!

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 6:05 AM

14 replies

Jan 16, 2016 2:20 PM in response to Radford Schantz

Open Console in Applications>Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

With that Utility not running, might try moving these files for a try...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI<Some Hex#>.plist

Or maybe better yet...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Jan 16, 2016 2:42 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, a console message that is repeated many times and might be relevant:

2016-01-16 17:27:58.173 ScreenSaverEngine[25650] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Library/QuickTime/Perian.component/Contents/MacOS/Perian

Another console message that is less likely to be relevant:

Jan 16 17:30:10 [computer] mDNSResponder: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 65002

Thanks for you help so far!

Jan 16, 2016 6:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Hello, removing Perian didn't help. I received a new crash log. I am having difficulty sending it because it seems to contain invalid characters. Here are the first few lines, and a link to the whole report in a public dropbox.

Command: mds

Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.framework /Versions/A/Support/mds

Parent: launchd [1]

Version: ??? (???)

PID: 25574

Thread: 5

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0069f000

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/551410/mds.crash.log

Jan 17, 2016 9:50 AM in response to Radford Schantz

I would avoid "free" apps like the plague... reason being is that the Free Download sites "package" Free Software in installers that install adware/malware.

Another issue is how old the OS X and computer are... many developers of legit software have no archives of old software

Beware of Goggle search results containing Free Download

Take a look here for a contemporary (2005) article on Tiger & MIDI > http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/tiger.htm

midi keyboard software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.