Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS force boot "low battery"

Ok.

So last year I had this iPhone 3GS that I was trying to get to work. It had some sort of logic board error or something. After hours spent trying over the course of a week or two, I gave up. Since, I've collected 8 others. But today, I decided to give it another shot. It still "won't" charge. I've determined already that there is a hardware issue. I hit it hard enough and it will say it charges for a minute, then stop. Even when it does say it is charging, it won't boot. However, I know it has a charge because when I unplug it, it shows the plug back in low battery symbol. When it does boot, it will either charge up and work for a few days, or instantly shut off because of "low" battery. So, is there a way to force the phone to boot and bypass the low battery auto-shutoff? any help appreciated! Thanks!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.3, messed up, missing bottom screws

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 6:38 AM

No - honestly it sounds like the battery in that iPhone is just worn out. Until or unless you put a new battery in it, I doubt it will ever be useable again.

6 replies

Jan 16, 2016 6:41 AM in response to Michael Black

Oh well. It's probably a waste of time. I don't think the battery is dead dead though, because sometimes it will charge and stay for a couple days. I think it's a loose connection. I'll poke around inside the phone. Another reason I think its the logic board is because I can hear a weird click and sometimes beep sound when it's plugged in and I hold it up to my ear.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2016 9:33 AM in response to I_like_Vintage_PCs

Actually, an unstable charge and the other behavior you describe is exactly the sort of symptoms expected from a Lithium battery that is at deaths door step.

1. It's a 3GS so how old is it now? A lithium cell, at best, might be expected to retain useable charge for about 3 to 5 years

2. It was left in an idle state for a lengthy period, which is definitely not good for the life of a lithium cells. They really only last well with regular discharge/charge partial cycles. Left sitting with no use, they degrade very quickly.

3. It is exhibiting all the signs of a lithium battery that has simply run its course and is no longer able to reliably take or hold a proper charge state.

Jan 16, 2016 9:37 AM in response to Michael Black

Sorry for being unresponsive.

That sounds right, I guess. Would a failing battery also cause a "charging is not supported with this accessory" error when plugged in when it works, with all the chargers I have (legit apple chargers). Also, could it cause strange sounds to come from the device? Like I mentioned before? I suppose I could attempt to replace the battery, it should be cheap. I also find it kinda funny that this battery died, but I literally have 8 others who's batteries last for a decent amount of time. Thanks!

iPhone 3GS force boot "low battery"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.