Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion Drive: Restore from Time Machine - "The disk can't be erased."

Hello,

On a new (late 2015) iMac I need to erase my 3TB Fusion drive (El Capitan, not encrypted, just 1 partition, no Boot Camp partition), and then restore a Time Machine backup (made on a previous iMac, also with 3TB Fusion drive (El Capitan, not encrypted, just 1 partition, no Boot Camp partition).

According to Apple document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 "Restore from a Time Machine backup" I...

1. restarted with cmd+R (later I also tried cmd+alt+R, and also from a bootable El Cap USB flash drive)

2. selected "Restore from Time Machine Backup"

3. selected my external Time Machine backup drive

4. selected the most recent backup

5. selected "Macintosh HD" as destination and clicked "Continue"

... but then the following message appeared "The disk can't be erased."

User uploaded file

Then I tried to erase "Macintosh HD" via Disk Utility:

1. restarted with cmd+R (later I also tried cmd+alt+R, and also from a bootable El Cap USB flash drive)

2. selected Disk Utility

3. selected "Macintosh HD"

4. clicked "Erase" tab

5. clicked "Erase" button

... then I got the error message:

"Erase process has failed... Details: Unmounting disk3 - Removing Logical Volume from Logical Volume Group - Unable to delete the Core Storage logical volume. Operation failed..."

I was in the "Recovery loop", and the only way out was to "Reinstall OS X", but then after many hours, there was again my old flubbed installation with everything I wanted to get rid of!

How can I restore my Time Machine backup - nothing more or less - to my new iMac?

I've lost 3 days now with this problem. I really hope someone has a solution.

Many thanks!

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 1:07 PM

46 replies

Mar 29, 2017 12:34 PM in response to coxorange

I'm having a very similar problem. And even if I freshly destroy and then recreate the Fusion drive on this 2015 iMac, Time Machine Restore still wants to reformat the volume AGAIN. And it fails because it cannot. How do you solve that specific problem? If I could suppressed time machine's need to erase a drive before it restores, that would do it, but I don't know how to do that. Or of course if apple would built into it's own software, the ability to manage and create and destroy fusion drives, that would also help quite a bit.

Jan 16, 2016 1:44 PM in response to coxorange

Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this condition. If you don't feel able to carry out these instructions, please get someone more experienced to help you. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

In the OS X Utilities screen, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen—not from any of the items in the OS X Utilities window.

Follow the procedure in this ASC thread to split up the Fusion Drive. The long string of letters, numbers, and dashes that you will have to enter will be different in your case. Copy and paste it from the Terminal window into the command.

This operation will remove all data from the Fusion Drive, so you had better be sure of your backups.

Quit Terminal, then repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.)

Quit Disk Utility. You should then be able to install OS X and restore your data from a backup in the main screen.

Jan 17, 2016 4:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your help!

Triple-click the line below to select it, then drag or copy the text — do not type it — into the Terminal window and press return:

diskutil cs list

Post the lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

As I couldn't drag or copy, I could only type it. What difference does it make?

Also I couldn't copy the output, I could only take a photo:

User uploaded file

I guess I'll have to type "sudo diskutil cs deleteLVG " and then copy the long string (see above in green) after that?

Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2016 1:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

The instructions that I posted earlier are not as clear as they could be, so I'm posting what I hope are clearer ones below for the benefit of anyone else who might find this thread.

Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this condition. Please read this whole message before doing anything. If you don't feel able to carry out the instructions, get someone more experienced to help you. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

This procedure applies only to an iMac or Mac mini with a factory-installed Fusion Drive.

You'll need to refer to these instructions while no web browser is running, so either print them or load them on another device before you begin.

1. You need at least two complete, independent backups of all data before proceeding. One backup is not enough to be safe. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe. Select a language, if prompted.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

4. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

5. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

diskutil cs deleteLVG `diskutil cs list | awk 'NR==3{print $NF}'`

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

6. Quit Safari. You'll be returned to the OS X Utilities screen.

From the menu bar, select

Utilities Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear. Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

This operation will remove all data from the Fusion Drive, so you had better be sure of your backups.

7. Now you can repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.)

8. Quit Disk Utility. If you have a Time Machine backup, connect the backup device and restore your data in the main screen. If you backed up to a network device such as a Time Capsule, it should be connected automatically.

9. If you don't have a Time Machine backup, or if you can't restore from the Time Machine backup that you do have, install OS X. You'll restore the data later.

In Internet Recovery mode, you'll be installing the original version of OS X that shipped with the machine. If you've upgraded the OS in the App Store, and you want to install the latest version, then restart in local Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-R (not the option key) at the startup chime. When you install the OS, you'll be prompted for the Apple ID and password that you used to upgrade.

Jan 17, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you! I followed your instructions until...

Linc Davis wrote:

7. Now you can repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.)

There I read:

6. If your Fusion Drive can be fixed with Disk Utility, you'll see a Disk icon with red lettering. Click the disk icon.

7. A dialog box appears offering to fix the Fusion Drive (shown above). [...]

Unfortunately there is no red lettering and I can't get to the dialog box to fix the Fusion Drive.

Here's how it looks:

User uploaded file

What can I do now...?

Jan 17, 2016 12:41 PM in response to coxorange

It looks like you did what you had to do, but the machine isn't responding the way it should. That makes this a warranty issue.

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Jan 17, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, as far as I heard it should be possible to create the Fusion Drive via Terminal.

For example I found this:

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/Setting-Up-A-Fusion-Drive-On-Your- Current-Mac.htm

I have no problem working with Terminal, but the above article is a bit too "techy" for me, and I also don't know when it was written and if that knowledge is still applicable for El Capitan.

Please could you have a look and maybe tell me what to type in to get my Fusion drive back?

We're in the middle of a nightmare with iMac warranty issues. Two iMacs which have been collected by an Apple authorized service partner here in the UK on 18th December are still away. Both came back damaged or in totally damaged packaging and had to be collected again for repair and inspection.

Now we've bought these new iMacs with that Fusion Drive problem and we really don't want to give them away. Bringing them to an Apple store (25 miles away) is no alternative, because we don't drive, and carrying these large and heavy boxes via public transport is nearly impossible (we did it once and don't want to do it again).

We really hope you (or maybe someone else who's reading this) knows a solution. Thanks.

Jan 17, 2016 1:52 PM in response to coxorange

Nothing in your response suggests that you can't take advantage of the phone support that you paid for.

This is the second storage-related failure you've had with the machine. It's defective. There is no point in trying to hack data onto it, in my view. If you're within 90 days of purchase or have AppleCare, you may be able to arrange for on-site service.

Jan 17, 2016 2:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

I know there is phone support. I had the "pleasure" regarding the mentioned repairs during the last 4 weeks, and every call (there were many required!) took about 1 hour (and english is not my native language).

I don't exactly understand what you mean with "This is the second storage-related failure you've had with the machine."

We bought 3 identical iMacs, all with 3TB Fusion Drive (Do they replace the standard factory built-in 2TB Fusion drives of this model with 3TB Fusion drives?).

Two of them showed the same problem (as described above). On one of these two I followed your instructions. The 3rd one is still untouched in its packaging.

I really would prefer to configure the Fusion drives with forum help. :-)

Do you think the solution is so far away...?

BTW Can you confirm that it's normally possible for users to erase Macintosh HD of Fusion Drive Macs via Disk Utility? (for example when somebody wants to sell their old Mac and therefore needs to reset it to its original state)

Jan 17, 2016 2:54 PM in response to Linc Davis

One thing I forgot: I think back in 2014 we had an iMac in repair to replace a hard drive (part of a Fusion drive). When it came back repaired it was no longer possible to erase Macintosh HD via Disk Utility. I was on the phone with AppleCare and in the end NO ONE could help! The only solution was another collection for another repair. Later the technician told me it hadn't been configured correctly before, and he could "repair" it in no time. I should have asked for the details. :-(

Jan 18, 2016 9:17 AM in response to coxorange

coxorange wrote:

As I learned from this thread, Fusion Drive repair is no longer included in El Capitan's Disk Utility.

Another thread confirms this:

The disk utility for Lion thru Yosemite will fix your fusion drive; disk utility in El Capitan (version 15) will not, however with El Capitan you don't have to do the coreStorage delete to clean install. Simply erase the Macintosh HD and it will erase but leave your drives fused.

Fusion Drive: Restore from Time Machine - "The disk can't be erased."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.