Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF/A natively created in Mac OS X. Is still impossible?

Open an old question ...

PDF/A is a open standard. No doubt about that anymore.

But I can say it is outrageous in Windows from a simple <print> command and you have de PDF/A format, while in MAC I am spending precious time google my problem with no reasonable answer.

Thanks in advance for helping.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / Office 2011 / OS X 10.11.1

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 2:25 PM

8 replies

Jan 16, 2016 2:42 PM in response to angelozanotelli

What exactly is your issue?

Printing from Windoze PC? Printing from Mac? If Mac, what App? Something else?

Feel free to Tell us a Story in Italian(?) and let us translate - details are very important, as is the Full Story.

PDF/A is an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF) specialized for the digital preservation of electronic documents. PDF/A differs from PDF by prohibiting features ill-suited to long-term archiving, such as font linking (as opposed to font embedding).

PDF/A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A

Jan 16, 2016 6:43 PM in response to angelozanotelli

If you want to export your Word document on a Mac to PDF/A-1a, then get the free LibreOffice, and once your document is opened, choose File menu : Export as PDF, and on that export panel, there is a checkbox for PDF/A-1a. LibreOffice is an MS Office replacement suite.

If you subsequently open that LibreOffice generated commercial PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.14, or version 15, the following banner will appear. Click to enlarge.

User uploaded file

I would be very surprised that MS Windows, or MS Word on Windows is now exporting PDF directly to PDF/A-1a standards without the help of Adobe Acrobat Pro's Writer, as this would have to satisfy several PDF/A-1a criteria found in that specification.

The native document format on OS X is PDF v1.3 via either an application's File menu : Export, or File menu : Print : PDF. That version of PDF implementation cannot conform to the minimum PDF v1.4, or 1.7 that the PDF/A standards are based upon. Partly due to this issue, Apple does not ship any OS X applications, or other OS X applications that generate the PDF/A output. Third-party application vendors that wish to implement their own PDF export/printing solution can and do implement the PDF/A standard as they have no operating system restrictions.

PDF/A natively created in Mac OS X. Is still impossible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.