Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac shut down in middle of El Capitan install, now won't boot

Hey all,

I tried upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan. Right at the very end of the install, when the progress bar was nearly complete, my Macbook Pro (2012) shut off. I thought this was normal, but when I try to turn it on, it shuts itself off when the boot progress bar is about 1/2 complete.

When I put it into recovery mode, to OSX is clearly El Capitan, and the HDD is able to be repaired. I can use Safari, etc.

But it does not boot in Safe Mode (though it gets 3/4 there with the boot progress bar).

I've tried every other suggestion I've come across. Any suggestions before I buy a new SSD?

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 3:15 PM

5 replies

Jan 17, 2016 1:16 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the reply Eric, but I've tried all the methods you linked me to.

My computer doesn't stall/freeze on startup, it actually shuts off abruptly. Safe mode doesn't help, resetting PRAM and SMC did nothing. I would think it's hopeless, except that I can boot to recovery mode and my disk has been repaired and seems okay.

Has anyone seen this before? Should I buy a new drive, or perhaps try a re-install?

Jan 25, 2016 3:48 AM in response to jarenmusic

It's definitely a software problem.

I bought a new SSD and a screwdriver set, opened it up and replaced the drive, and installed OSX via USB drive (a weekend of work). I restore from Time Machine, and got my old data back. Celebrating, I download and start installing El Capitan overnight, and in the morning, when I turned on my computer, I find to my horror...

the same thing. Shuts down abruptly when the boot bar is halfway.

please, I would cherish some advice. El Cap is violently disagreeing with my computer.

Jan 25, 2016 4:28 AM in response to jarenmusic

alright, here comes the stupid question: do you have a TM backup? I'd first restore from that. then make a bootable El Capitan install image on a usb. Boot from the usb, run disk utility and erase the main partition and perform a clean install of El Capitan. Boot into the new El Capitan, run the migration manager and restore your apps and data. If you don't have a TM backup i'm sorry to say you just learned a lesson.

john

Mac shut down in middle of El Capitan install, now won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.