Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin Password Issue

Hi Guys,

I wanna try bootcamp assistance for making a usb bootable for windows 10. However, even after one full day I am lost and need your help.

First, my macbook is lat 2011, means with optical drive one. Literally meaning, bootcamp assistance won't let me make usb strick and forces me to use optical drive (old fashioned iso CD burn, which I am not at all gonna do).

So, I started scavenging web for any usable info. Turns out i need to overwrite certain properties of Info.plist in bootcamp content and here come the bummer.

My Admin password (the password, which I use to install or uninstall software), pretty much anything with administer privilege seems to not have enough privilege for tampering systems (in my case bootcamp info.plist changes). Well seems like other folks dont have this issue but me. So can anyone point me to the direction where I can find a solution.

My so called "Admin" password is recognized for all but system files update. So, although I can reset it again, it seems that the so far working admin password does not have enough privileges so can I do anything on the top of it.?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Blackout

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 9:48 PM

1 reply

Jan 17, 2016 6:14 AM in response to hprem

hprem wrote:

I wanna try bootcamp assistance for making a usb bootable for windows 10. However, even after one full day I am lost and need your help.

First, my macbook is lat 2011, means with optical drive one. Literally meaning, bootcamp assistance won't let me make usb strick and forces me to use optical drive (old fashioned iso CD burn, which I am not at all gonna do).

Is there a specific reason to avoid creating a physical DVD to install windows? Is your optical drive dysfunctional?

So, I started scavenging web for any usable info. Turns out i need to overwrite certain properties of Info.plist in bootcamp content and here come the bummer.

My Admin password (the password, which I use to install or uninstall software), pretty much anything with administer privilege seems to not have enough privilege for tampering systems (in my case bootcamp info.plist changes). Well seems like other folks dont have this issue but me. So can anyone point me to the direction where I can find a solution.

My so called "Admin" password is recognized for all but system files update. So, although I can reset it again, it seems that the so far working admin password does not have enough privileges so can I do anything on the top of it.?

Google can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Even if you can create a bootable USB, you will end up with black screens, no bootable devices, run EFI boot and your audio may not work. If you have a lot of leisure time on your hands and want to learn Bootcamp in-and-outs, please continue.

If you want Windows installed properly, please see How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support and https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/ for further 'normal' help.

Admin Password Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.