Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound On Windows 10 Help?!

Hi Everyone,

I seem to be having one problem after the other installing Windows 10 on my iMac.

After several stressful hours I finally got windows installed on my iMac, however I have no sound what so ever. No sound from the speakers, or through headphones.

I have a little red 'X' next to the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Thanks so much.

Andy

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 1:35 AM

23 replies

Jan 17, 2016 6:20 AM in response to WalkingZombieCorpse

1. If you installed W10 on a 2011 Mac using EFI Boot, your sound may never work.

2. If you installed W10 using a physical DVD and used the standard BC Method, and your Sound does not work, install BC drivers using a USB Flash drive and BC Assistant (the screen shot is from El Capitan, but older versions have similar capabilities). You will need to run setup.exe from the Bootcamp folder on the USB.

User uploaded file

3. Since your Mac officially does not support W10, you may also need to try BC5 drivers, which are available at Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

Jan 20, 2016 3:07 PM in response to Loner T

Hey there, I seem to be having the same issue. So far I haven't been able to get audio, or a second display via a vga to mini displayport adapter to work. The first time I installed Windows 10 on my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, I used BCA and a USB3 drive. Had an issue with GPT vs MBR, but with some research, was able to get Windows installed. However, after running the bootcamp setup.exe, audio and a second display haven't worked. I tried erasing the bootcamp partition with DU and burning a Windows 10 iso to DVD. However after reinstalling and running the bootcamp setup.exe, audio still didn't work. Any ideas?

Jan 20, 2016 5:44 PM in response to GRlMMLlN

On the 2012 MBPs, the standard method for Windows is an MBR. The BCA installer will create an MBR, and boot from the legacy Windows installer and install Windows. In case a user manually boots from the USB installer, they can choose the Windows or EFI Boot icon. Specifically on 2012 MBPs, which are preUEFI, EFI boot will not work properly. The Audio devices do not show up unless CSM-BIOS is invoked.

Is it possible to re-install Windows 10 without deleting the MBR this time?

No Sound On Windows 10 Help?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.