Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to keep music stored on my computer if I have itunes match and apple music? I am hoping to free up disk space on my macbook - so was hoping it can work like my other devices: storing only selected songs or playlists at any given time?

Do I have to keep music stored on my computer if I have itunes match and apple music? I am hoping to free up disk space on my macbook - so was hoping it can work like my other devices: storing only selected songs or playlists at any given time - then just occasionally changing or managing what is physically stored on my computer... have I got the wrong end of the stick?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Jan 17, 2016 7:15 PM in response to JOE DE VILLIERS

As Jim says, it will work but the backup of your music files AND your iTunes Library files is important in case you want to discontinue either Apple Music/iCloud Music Library and/or iTunes Match. However, be aware that there are still a lot of mis-matching going on with ICML (to a greater extent) and iTunes Match (though reportedly a much lesser extent) meaning that when you stream the music that ICML "matched", you might not get the same version that you originally matched.

Jan 17, 2016 11:14 PM in response to swandy

thanks so much Swandy and Jim!

After a day of matching there are still items "waiting"... Will give it more time.

Still not sure what to do once all is matched...

Sorry to sound stupid, but still not sure how I free up disk space on my computer - do I remove the old iTunes library and then iTunes

will create a new one based on the fact that my music is all in the cloud? And then I can re-download stuff I want to listen to offline?

Guess I should contact support directly before I start irritating you with my ignorance... hehe

Joe

Dec 20, 2016 3:56 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

The original suggestion to leave everything in the Cloud is a non-answer. This means that all my devices will require high cellular bandwidth to use away from home.

Apple Music will not work with different devices that have different memory capacities and I find this very frustrating to the point where I feel better off canceling the service and going back to my existing song collection.

Does Apple have any other solutions to the problem of different playlists for different devices using Apple Music?

Thanks

Do I have to keep music stored on my computer if I have itunes match and apple music? I am hoping to free up disk space on my macbook - so was hoping it can work like my other devices: storing only selected songs or playlists at any given time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.