Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes creates new artist listing for same artist

For some reason whenever I add a new album lately, itunes creates a new artist group even though it's the same artist as before. It has the same info, same name in borth artist and album artist. Any idea why? It's incredibly frustrating. I know have 3 Bob Dylans...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 5:44 AM

9 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:19 AM in response to AnrBjötk

It is common. Most people I know who use iTunes, albeit on Mac or Windows don't care about the issue, but this is common with all their whole OS.

As for the solution staring you in the face, I would have to say, no. The solutions I pointed you towards - the ones I have used and found success in, and those of other helpers on here - are trail and error.

I had one instance, where it took me several hours to get a track to behave and go where it belonged. I could make a Disney/Pixar movie just on that one track! What worked for me in the end was not seeing the track as a rogue individual, but seeing the others as the culprits! Just a suggestion. I hope you find a solution.

Feb 23, 2016 2:29 AM in response to welshcatholic

Thanks. I just can't see a way out of this though. I've tried everything. I know have 10 Bob Dylan artists in my itunes. For each week, for each new album, another artist...
I even tried to put all the tracks in a playlist and edit them en mass, but to no awail. It just bungled things up worse, and made half the album one artist, half another... It's driving me mad.

Feb 23, 2016 3:30 AM in response to AnrBjötk

What generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common, e.g. for an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks), or for an artist; Album Artist (and Artist if applicable). Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any problems.

tt2

Feb 23, 2016 5:27 AM in response to turingtest2

It's the darndest thing, I just added "album artist" to the problem-tracks, and boom, suddenly they all merged. Even though Ive done the same before. Didn't work with the tracks I added today though. Maybe it'll work if I try in another two months?
Seems like it's just being moody and not wanting to what it's told when I say...
I'll try your method anyways.

Itunes creates new artist listing for same artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.