Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a new iMac and connected my Canon MX printer. All of a sudden it is not finding it. how do i reconnect it

I have a new Mac computer and installed my Canon wireless printer to it. It was working fine. All of a sudden it showed in use but printer not connected and could not find it. I removed the printer and now it can't find it to reinstall. I don't know what to do. I am new to an iMac.

iMac, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 6:57 AM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2016 4:49 PM in response to staceyjmarine

I have a similar problem - which only began after I changed internet providers. It happens when the printer goes idle. When it 'awakens' the IP address apparently changes and the imac can't find it. But my Dell has no problem with the printer!! So, it's obviously a Mac thing. It also happens with another iMac I have...

The only solution is to restart the PRINTER. Whenever I do, it works fine. Till it goes idle again....

Jan 19, 2016 6:36 AM in response to menriv

menriv wrote:

I have a similar problem - which only began after I changed internet providers. It happens when the printer goes idle. When it 'awakens' the IP address apparently changes and the imac can't find it. But my Dell has no problem with the printer!! So, it's obviously a Mac thing. It also happens with another iMac I have...

The only solution is to restart the PRINTER. Whenever I do, it works fine. Till it goes idle again....

Without having more details, I would guess that your printer is using DHCP to get an IP address and the router you used with your previous internet provider always provided the same address to the printer. The router with your new internet provider is providing different IP addresses to the printer when it wakes from idle. If this is the cause, you can fix this by configuring the router to always provide the same IP address to the printer and configuring the printer to always use the same IP address.

i have a new iMac and connected my Canon MX printer. All of a sudden it is not finding it. how do i reconnect it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.