Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Works stopped working with latest update of Quick Time

When the latest update of Quick Time was installed Apple Works quit working right in the middle of a project. I got an error saying that Quick Time 4.1 was needed for Apple Works to run. I tried a system restore from before the update but that didn't work. I then tried uninstalling Quick Time and reinstalling from my Apple Works CD, no go there either. I get an error code of 2095.

AppleWorks-OTHER, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 8:56 AM

10 replies

Jan 17, 2016 11:35 AM in response to mabirdeau

I don't know a lot about using Windows & I never did use Vista so I'm trying to pull from my limited experience with AppleWorks 5 & 6 in Windows 95, 98 & 7 so bear with me. If this was on a Mac I would first suggest deleting AppleWorks preferences. I do recall being able to find the preference files for AppleWorks 5 but never could find the AppleWorks 6 preferences in any version of Windows.

I assume you are using AppleWorks 6.2.2 for Windows. Do you know what version of QuickTime that update was? I did find that the latest version for Windows Vista or Windows 7 is 7.7.9 which you can download at this link. But I don't think that AppleWorks can handle any version of QuickTime released after 2009 or so. At least that is my experience with a Mac.

My best suggestion for now would be to uninstall both AppleWorks & QuickTime & reinstall them from the original CD. The latest version of AppleWorks for Windows 6.2.2, released in January, 2004. That download page does say it requires QuickTime 4.1.2 or later but I would be very reluctant to go any later. The biggest problem is that AppleWorks has not been updated at all for 12 years, making it a software dinosaur.

Jan 17, 2016 12:49 PM in response to Peggy

Thanks Peggy, I'll try your suggestion.

My version of AppleWorks is 6.2.4 , I'm not sure what the update version that happened this A.M. for QuickTime was. I have now learned further that I can't open the QuickTime viewer also. So I've been working trying to uninstall and reinstall the latest version for Vista. So far I can't seem to get rid of all traces of it in order to get a clean install.

Up until this A.M. all other updates to QuickTime seemed to be OK.

Jan 18, 2016 11:33 AM in response to mabirdeau

Thanks fosnola; I checked that link out and I have tried pretty much everything there. I sometimes wonder though how some people can find things and I can't. I tried a search for error 2095 and turned up nothing.

Well here's what I have tried and found out so far today.

I found a link to a discussion on a like problem. (may have been for i-tunes not QuickTime and a different OS) I did what was suggested there which basically was to uninstall everything Apple. I met with mixed success. I was able to install the older version of QuickTime (4.1) that was on my AppleWorks CD. Also I was able to install AppleWorks.

Now part of the mixed part, AppleWorks won't open. No errors or anything, just doesn't open.

I know I had this problem 6 years or so ago when I first installed AppleWorks on this computer. At that time it was said that it wouldn't work on Vista. I don't know if something changed with a windows update or it was something I did but, I got it working. If it was something I did I sure don't know what I did any longer.

Other mixed part, as soon as I updated QuickTime to the latest version I got the error that QuickTime 4.1 needed to be installed. So, apparently AppleWorks will not work with the latest QuickTime update.

Jan 18, 2016 6:38 PM in response to mabirdeau

As I recall, without digging out my CD that has AppleWorks 6 for both Mac & Windows, the version installed is 6.2. There was an update after that to AppleWorks 6.2.2 which might help with the problem of it running in Vista. Reading the system requirements in the linked page does say "Windows XP or later" so that may help. Do not update QuickTime unless it absolutely insists. Even then, I would be reluctant. I will try digging around to see if I can find an updater or installer for QuickTime 4.1.2 for Windows.

EDIT: I found oldversion.com that has links to many versions of QuickTime. The big green "Download Now" button should download QuickTime 4.1.2.

Jan 20, 2016 12:55 PM in response to mabirdeau

Peggy; Nope, I hate to say it but QuickTime won't fully download from there either. I don't know whats going on, either I'm missing some thing or something else is missing from the computer to allow it to fully download. It did download fully the one time Monday but that's all, it still didn't work. I have now tried a custom download where I downloaded each part separately, that didn't work either.

Now for the wonderment that is computer heck. I downloaded it all on the laptop that runs Windows 8.1 with no problem. Well almost no problem. QuickTime and AppleWorks both downloaded, but AppleWorks won't open. I believe that happened the last time also and I think I only had to run and set the compatibility for it to work. That didn't do it this time though.

I'm still doing updates on the laptop so I haven't tried anything else yet to get it going.

Jan 21, 2016 5:07 AM in response to mabirdeau

With the upgrade to Windows 10 on the laptop, AppleWorks now works. So I at least have that now. The only thing is on Windows 8.1 and 10 it works much slower, in drawings it makes it harder to be precise and on a spreadsheet it is real slow scrolling. Slower is definitely better then nothing.

I don't know yet what else, if anything, I'm going to try on the desktop computer.

If I get it going I will post it here to let anyone that is interested know.

Thanks again Peggy for all your help.

Apple Works stopped working with latest update of Quick Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.