Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Windows 7. Why would I need Bonjour? Can I safely remove it?

null-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 10:46 AM

It's a network protocol that iCloud uses, and it is tiny. Leave it alone.

11 replies

Jan 17, 2016 11:09 AM in response to mjvande

Do you use iTunes? Do you sync your iPhone with anything on the computer? Do you use your iOS device to print? Do you import photos from your iOS device to the computer? There are a number of things that Bonjour does. It is communication protocol between Apple products and your Windows product.

As far as your using iCloud, it is used for wireless backups, it is used to sync data for calendars and contacts in the cloud, and also for music in the cloud.

Jan 17, 2016 12:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Why do you assume that everyone has a smart phone? I have a $19 phone for emergencies. I have yet to hear a good reason to carry a computer with me everywhere. I'd much rather read a good book. When I see someone staring at their smart phone, I say "See this? These are called 'books'. This is what people used to read in the old days". 🙂

By the way, how do I replace my avatar with my own photo? I don't see any option for doing that.

Jan 17, 2016 1:34 PM in response to mjvande

Then may I ask what Apple software you have installed that has installed Bonjour that you are asking when you are a Windows user? I would just like an answer to that question. If you are not using a device that uses Bonjour, how did you get it?

You cannot change your avatar with your own photo. You have to have accumulated points to be able to do that. You need to be a Level 3, with 500 points to be able to have a custom avatar.

Jan 17, 2016 1:56 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I think it probably started with Quick Time being required (?) to watch a film for a class. Then somehow iTunes got installed, & Apple software updating. It was never clear what the pros & cons of each piece of software are. I still don't know, but I removed them all, because they kept asking to be updated, especially iTunes. Without complete information, I don't see how any user can objectively decide whether to allow software to be installed!

Jan 17, 2016 2:05 PM in response to mjvande

I can agree with your logic on what software should be installed. If you do not need a particular software product, then you have all the right in the world to remove it. However, Bonjour is not an individual product, it is a part of the needs for the software you had installed. If you do no wish to use iTunes any longer, then by all means remove it. Removing it would remove Bonjour as well, unless you had difficulty in the removal process with Windows. Just understand that when you choose to install a software product, it can contain components that you cannot always understand their exact interworking, but I can tell you that with the selection of software that you named in this last post, that is where Bonjour came from. It would more than likely been installed with iTunes, since it is part of the communication between iTunes, Windows and other Apple products. I hope that helps you understand. I believe there was a misunderstanding regarding what you were doing with the Apple software in the beginning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.