Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes says my ipod is corrupted i restored it at least 5 times but still says its corrupted. I need help.

I read that you're supposed to restore your iPod when it says its corrupted and I did that at least 5 times but it still says it's corrupt. Please help!

iPod nano (7th generation)

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 5:08 PM

You used the Restore button on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes?

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If you did that, where does it say the iPod is corrupted? Is it in an error message from iTunes? Or an error message from the overall system?

Do you use a Mac or Windows PC? If Windows, what version of Windows?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2016 5:08 PM in response to Leecharley13

You used the Restore button on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes?

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If you did that, where does it say the iPod is corrupted? Is it in an error message from iTunes? Or an error message from the overall system?

Do you use a Mac or Windows PC? If Windows, what version of Windows?

Jan 18, 2016 2:54 PM in response to Leecharley13

If the same message appears when iTunes is not running, the error is probably coming from the OS X system, not from iTunes. Here's what I would try, since doing a Restore in iTunes does not resolve the corruption issue... Quit iTunes if running. Run Disk Utility and select the iPod in the Disk Utility sidebar. If there is a volume indented below the iPod device, make sure you select the device, not the volume. Use the Erase command on the iPod (to reformat it). If your OS X is El Capitan (current OS X release), in the setup window for Disk Utility Erase, set Scheme to Apple Partition Map. Set Format to OS X Extended (Journaled). Name doe not matter. Click Erase. If you are using an older release of OS X, Disk Utility looks different; please post back.

After the Erase completes, the iPod's onboard software is no longer present, so you still need to do a Restore in iTunes. Quit Disk Utility and run iTunes; whether you are prompted or not, do a Restore on the iPod. After Restore completes, before loading any content on the iPod, see if the "corruption" message still happens (or not) when you disconnect and reconnect the iPod.

Itunes says my ipod is corrupted i restored it at least 5 times but still says its corrupted. I need help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.