Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini to TV - display won't stay awake

Since upgrading to El Capitan I am having problems with my HDMI (Samsung TV) display sleeping even though I have set Mac Sleep and Display Sleep to "Never" in Energy Saver preferences.

I can keep the screen alive as long as I am connected to the Mac using Screen Sharing from another device, but it's really annoying having to leave that device running just to keep the Mini running.

This never happened with the previous OS - as long as the screen was active (normally playing video either in Safari or VLC) the display remained active. Any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 4:43 PM

6 replies

Jan 20, 2016 2:23 AM in response to timtastic

Some TVs will sleep if you don't do something on them e.g. change channel for several hours, it would be worth checking the settings in the Samsung itself. The other common issue with TVs is that if you switch the TV to a different input than the Mac the Mac will typically think the TV is no longer connected or turned on and then the Mac turns its own video connection off.

The later issue is best solved by a device like the following which learns the signal from the TV and will keep sending it to the Mac even if the TV is turned off or completely unplugged from the Mac.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859

Otherwise it does sound like the Mac is sleeping its display port even though I know you have set it not to.

Jan 20, 2016 7:30 AM in response to timtastic

My Samsung does have a function in which it displays a 60-second warning before it initiates its own disconnection but that isn't happening here. If I maintain a Screen Sharing connection (by keeping another device awake) the display stays on for at least 3 hours before the Samsung warning. If I close that Screen Sharing connection at any time the Mac disconnects from the display either immediately or within 5 minutes (with no warning from the Samsung). It also wouldn't explain why this is only happening since the El Capitan update.

I wonder if it could be that I don't have a keyboard or mouse connected to the Mac? I will try hooking one up to test.

Apr 7, 2016 10:24 AM in response to rlensen

Has anyone posted a fix to this? My Mac Mini with Marantz and Sony TV has no issues, but I am running server on that one.
The other Mini with a Sony Speaker that controls the switching to a Toshiba 55 screen is always loosing its connections now. I have to reboot every time to make it work and it is rather painful.

Mac Mini to TV - display won't stay awake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.