Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move photos from moments to albums, then REMOVE them from moments without them deleting in the albums? SO frustrated.

I open up iPhoto and my moments move over. I create an album from my moments and add it to iPhoto events. I then try to delete the photos from moments manually, but then they delete from the album? So frustrated with this new version of iPhoto!!

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 8:16 PM

5 replies

Jan 17, 2016 10:50 PM in response to JENinNORCAL

You can not - neither are "places" - both are simply ways of viewing photos in your library - if you remove the photos form the library then it is of course gone every place (Photos, all Photos, Last import, all albums, all projects, etc)

And this is not a new version of iPhoto - it is a totally new and different program named Photos

and in this respect it operates exactly like iPhoto - not one bit of difference

LN

Jan 17, 2016 11:06 PM in response to JENinNORCAL

Photos (and iPhoto) work on in a way similar to iTunes. In iTunes, all songs are in the Library and playlists simply references the files from the Library. That way a song can be in multiple playlists but use no extra disk space.

Same with Photos (and iPhoto before it) Every shot is in the library, and Albums simply reference the files from the Library. That way a photo can be in multiple albums but use no extra disk space.

Moments are a view of the Library. They are the Library. Delete a photo from a Moment and you're deleting it from the Library, and therefore from everywhere - including Albums.

This is exactly the same as iPhoto.

Jan 18, 2016 12:55 PM in response to JENinNORCAL

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

Albums and smart albums can be sorted by Title, by Date with oldest first and by Date with newest first.

If you want to merge Album A into Album B do the following:

1 - open the sidebar with the Option+Command+S key combination.

2 - with the two albums visible in the sidebar click on A.

3 - select all of the photos in A.

4 - drag them onto the Album B icon in the sidebar to add them to B.

5 - verify all of the photos are in B.

6 - delete A from the sidebar.

User uploaded file

How can I move photos from moments to albums, then REMOVE them from moments without them deleting in the albums? SO frustrated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.