Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

subtitles won't show up in the preview

Hi all,

I'm using compressor 4 to create an itunes package.

I've added the uncompressed video, the trailer, the closed caption file and numerous subtitles files.

I click on the CC button. Click on closed captions and I see them while the film is playing.

I click on one of the subtitle files and I _cannot_ see the subtitles in the preview window while playing.

So, essentially I cannot check if they are properly timed or not.

Q: How can I switch on the subtitles in the preview?

Mac mini, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 12:49 AM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2016 5:46 AM in response to berndporr

...just to add that the subtitles and closed captions now show up. The subtitles (itunes timed text) appear exactly at the right moments whereas the closed captions are sometimes out of sync and/or won't show up at all. Note that I preview an uncompressed QT file so the compressor needs to drop frames to play it. This works perfectly with the ITT subtitles but won't with the Scenartist closed caption files (exported from Adobe Premere CC). Essentially it's not really possible to check within compressor if the closed caption files are OK or not.

Feb 6, 2016 4:24 PM in response to berndporr

...and to feed it back to the community. Don't adjust the timing of the closed captions in the compressor. It will be wrong. If you use a low bitrate MP4 the subtitles will show up about 1/2 sec too early and with a high bitrate uncompressed quicktime file they'll be about 2 secs late. The only way of checking the timing of the closed captions is to render out a standalone pro res 422 HQ file with the closed captions embedded and then playing it back in the quicktime player. Essentially the closed captions playback in compressor is alpha at best. Don't trust it. Hopefully that might be fixed soon. I'll post here once it works reliably. BTW: I recommend eztitles for the SCC/ITT creation. They are just perfect.

subtitles won't show up in the preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.