Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi disconnecting

My laptop keeps disconnecting from my home wifi every 10mins or so and I have to turn off wifi and turn it on again for it to reconnected. All other devices work fine at same distance from the wifi rooter so it is not to do with the wifi or being too far from it and it doesn't happen on other networks, only when at home. I am with virgin media. I have read about removing Thunderbolt as this interferes with the wifi apparently, but I wasn't sure if this was the best thing to do. Please can someone help, it is very frustrating!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 6:27 AM

5 replies

Jan 19, 2016 9:47 AM in response to louiseb123

Good day louiseb123,

It sounds like you are having an issue with your MacBook Pro disconnecting from your home Wi-Fi network unexpectedly. Is that correct?

I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article - Use Wireless Diagnostics to help you resolve Wi-Fi issues on your Mac.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

Jan 23, 2016 10:27 AM in response to Brett L

HI Brett,

I'm having the same problem as Louise above. Per the article you shared, I opened wireless diagnostics and monitored my connectivity. As expected, it detected a failure, but the result of the detection was to give me a wireless diagnostics report folder full of files that I cannot make heads or tails of. It's just a bunch of nonsensical (to me) text files with no actual recommendations to solve the problem. Can you give any additional help here please?

Thanks,

Chris

Jan 25, 2016 7:11 AM in response to louiseb123

Hi louiseb123,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Thanks for replying and letting us know that you don’t see the option to use Wireless Diagnostics. What version of Mac OS X is running on your Mac? You can find that information by using this link.

For OS X 10.8 and later, you would want to use Wireless Diagnostics. Are you holding down the Option key when selecting the Wi-Fi menu as described in the following article?

How to open Wireless Diagnostics

You can open Wi-Fi Diagnostics from the Wi-Fi menu. Try to connect to your Wi-Fi network, then use these steps to begin.

1. Quit any other apps that are open.
  2. While pressing the Option key, click the Wi-Fi menu.
    User uploaded file
  3. Choose Open Wireless Diagnostics from the Wi-Fi menu.
  4. Enter an administrator name and password when prompted.

Use Wireless Diagnostics to help you resolve Wi-Fi issues on your Mac - Apple Support

If you are running a previous version of OS X, the next link will help you troubleshoot.

How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity in OS X Lion or earlier - Apple Support

Best!

Feb 14, 2016 7:01 AM in response to AppleJoe

Hi,

I've been through wireless diagnostics, it shows as expected the wifi dropping every 10mins or so, but didn't help me. I think it is something to do with the wifi router not being up to date. We are using virgin media superhub, do you have any ideas about how to update this? Or any more help because I'm clueless and it's sooooo fustrating.

Thanks

Wifi disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.