Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why were my song ratings erased and playlists emptied on iTunes?

I'm looking for a possible explanation as to why this particular thing happened so it doesn't happen again in the future. I tried to cover every detail I thought was appropriate in case someone can point out exactly what went wrong.

First of all, I have a modest library of 3500 songs on my iTunes that I keep pretty organised with playlists and star ratings, and I try to store all of my data locally (ie. not on the cloud). I synch my whole library to my iPhone, so basically I try to keep my iTunes library and iPhone music library identical and have all of my music physically downloaded onto my phone (so only music available offline). I don't use iCloud Music Library and keep it off.

I do use Apple Music on my phone, however, to discover new music. I had it on automatic renewal for a couple of months but let my subscription lapse a maybe a over a week ago - ergo, I didn't have Apple Music for several days.

I decided to subscribe again a few days ago and all was good. I hadn't synced my phone since my subscription lapsed because I hadn't added any music, until yesterday when I bought a few singles on iTunes that I wanted to sync to my phone. However, they wouldn't sync to my phone after 2 or 3 tries, so I looked around my phone settings and noticed that iCloud Music Library was turned on. I'm pretty sure when I re-subscribed to Apple Music, it turned iCloud Music Library on somehow.

So I turned iCloud Music Library off, and then I tried to sync again. Only this time, a majority of my purchased music weren't syncing to my phone. All of my other music synced through. The only way to access my purchased music on my phone was to "show all music" and, I suppose stream them to my phone. Some of them would stream and I had the option to "download to phone" but most of them wouldn't even do either, they would just appear in my phone library but unable to play. Still the same after syncing 2 more times.

I deleted all the music on my phone through my phone settings then synced with the option of not syncing any music on iTunes, and for some reason it still synced one purchased song. I deleted that one song manually, changed to "sync all music" on iTunes to re-transfer my whole library to my phone, but it still refused to transfer pretty much all of my purchased music. And on top of that, I noticed all but 40 out of 3500~ songs had their star ratings erased on iTunes after the sync finished.

One last shot to try and get my music on to my phone, I deleted all the music again, backed my phone up, resetted it completely, restored it from the backup and finally synced everything.

Finally, I clicked on one of my playlists and noticed that it was empty. I checked the rest and all of my manual playlists were empty. The only ones filled were my smart playlists relying on date added and play counts.

Basically the whole structure of my entire library was ruined. I have no idea why or how any of this happened but I'm quite sure iCloud Music Library was the beginning of it. I tried restoring from temp files to no avail, nor did any saved previous itunes library files help. I have a full iTunes backup from September 2015 that has everything up till that month preserved, but I ripped a lot of albums during Christmas and I don't want to lose the date added / play count metadata. I temporarily restored the September 2015 library and screenshotted as much as I could, so I'm just gonna have to manually recreate the playlists and enter in the ratings again.

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 5:24 AM

Take a look at this thread for some thoughts: Losing song play data in iTunes 11

It might be possible to tweak the script I've mentioned there to recover some of your lost data.

tt2

9 replies

Jan 19, 2016 5:41 PM in response to turingtest2

This solution sounds really promising but forgive me because I'm having trouble using the script.

What I've try to do with small samples of songs is:

- Renaming the "iTunes Media" folder to "iTunes Media (Temp)

- Moving these library files from the iTunes folder into a backup folder, and copy/paste in older library files

User uploaded file

- Opening iTunes, selecting a few songs, and running the script, which saves a text file "iTunes Metadata" that looks like this:

User uploaded file

- Closing iTunes, replacing the old library files with the latest ones from the backup folder

- Deleting the empty, remade "iTunes Media" folder and restoring the "iTunes Media (Temp)" back to "iTunes Media"

- Open iTunes

- However, whenever I try to run the script by drag and dropping the txt file onto the script, I get this error message:

User uploaded file

Are you able to point out if I'm doing anything wrong? I've tried this a couple of times with no success.

Feb 14, 2016 2:11 PM in response to asynchrony

I just had the same problem. Am in Switzerland with a contract from the UK on a weekend break. Turned off the phone for the night, and when I turned it back on the music library was empty. Have just purchased a day's data subscription and suddenly the music library reappears. God knows why this happened. Why on earth should my data subscription be linked to music already downloaded to the phone?

Why were my song ratings erased and playlists emptied on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.