Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv is cutting off when listening to shows and movies

Why is my Apple Tv cutting off when I listen to Netflix

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 11:14 AM

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2016 11:14 AM in response to Luc Michaud

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Jan 20, 2016 3:29 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi Mr. Churchill,

I have been having the same wifi issues with my new apple tv 4. It's updated to the newest firmware, whatever it is right now.

At first I thought it was something up with my plex server, and no, it works fine on my older atv 3 as well as through the DLNA on my LG tv.

Then I thought it was my router. I reset it, updated the firmware. It worked fine for a day, then starting crapping out again.

It's not just plex. I can't watch trailers or any app that streams video. CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. I also tried the new VLC app. Even direct streaming using iTunes home sharing didn't work. Same issue, intermittent streaming/connectivity.

No other device using the wifi has had any issues, ever (my iphone 6 plus, my wife's 6s, her mini ipad, my macbook, ipad). Zero issues, ever.

I believe it is not interference. Scouring some forums it seems there are several people with this issue who have had no problems using the older atv 3 (myself included).

I am hoping and praying that it's a firmware issue and not a hardware one that's making the wifi faulty on certain apple tvs.

Probably not all because if it was all, there would be a massive issue but I don't think there is, just a few cases.

Maybe a bad batch?

It seems some people have had a successful stable connection by making the atv 4 connect using the 2.4 ghz and not the 5 ghz bandwidth.

I shall try this at home tonight.

Apple tv is cutting off when listening to shows and movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.