Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undo migration assistant transfer

I used migration assistant and time machine to transfer everything from my old mac to my new mac. I really wish I hadn't transferred the applications. Is there a way to get it back to the way it was sent to me?

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Slightly used- floor model

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 12:31 PM

The use of OS X Recovery can help return the computer to its original state; it will download

the as-shipped software set if still available from the Apple servers, or other from App Store.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

You should also consider an external drive component as a backup that is not Time Machine

related, and is separate physically. This could be used to create & maintain a clone of the OSX

and the applications from the computer, all offline. You can restore fully from a updated clone.

Or use one as your own time-capsule. Some partitions may be destroyed if you use Disk Utility

to erase a hard drive completely; if so the recovery partition won't be on the hard drive. When

replacing a hard disk drive with a new one, there also would be a need to format it & go to the

internet recovery to get the installation; unless you have a quality complete clone that managed

to copy all the partitions from the original, for later re-use as part of an personal offline archive.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

If you have terribly slow internet (use Ethernet, instead of wi-fi) you could also consider a visit

to an official Apple Store with Genius bar, by appointment; to get help to restore it to original.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2016 12:31 PM in response to lovenlight13

The use of OS X Recovery can help return the computer to its original state; it will download

the as-shipped software set if still available from the Apple servers, or other from App Store.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

You should also consider an external drive component as a backup that is not Time Machine

related, and is separate physically. This could be used to create & maintain a clone of the OSX

and the applications from the computer, all offline. You can restore fully from a updated clone.

Or use one as your own time-capsule. Some partitions may be destroyed if you use Disk Utility

to erase a hard drive completely; if so the recovery partition won't be on the hard drive. When

replacing a hard disk drive with a new one, there also would be a need to format it & go to the

internet recovery to get the installation; unless you have a quality complete clone that managed

to copy all the partitions from the original, for later re-use as part of an personal offline archive.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

If you have terribly slow internet (use Ethernet, instead of wi-fi) you could also consider a visit

to an official Apple Store with Genius bar, by appointment; to get help to restore it to original.

Jan 22, 2016 10:21 PM in response to K Shaffer

I'm sorry I've been having trouble responding for some reason, and I don't know why it says that my problem was solved because it's not! Maybe I'm not describing the problem accurately, here's a little background if you don't mind: my friend helped me find my first mac in 2009. It was a refurbished 2006 13" white macbook. He wiped away most of my apps (important ones like excel) to make room for a large app I was working with at the time. Fast forward 7 years, and I have Open Office (which I don't care for), three different browsers in my toolbar (updates were no longer available, as well as newer OS's so I switched between browsers to suit different purposes) and a slew of other apps to keep my old girl running. I finally forked over the dough for a new macbook and I was looking forward to getting rid of all that app/browser baggage, and seeing what it comes with (like Numbers, which I can't find now). I just didn't even think of it that by using time machine to transfer my files, that it would revert everything back to my old mac! I'm pretty bummed. I'm not sure what the recovery did, but everything looks the same, my old screensaver, the 3 browsers in my toolbar, open office...

Any other ideas?

Thank you and many blessings to you!

Jan 22, 2016 11:39 PM in response to lovenlight13

Hi again:

I understand the situation is still a problem & that you've accidentally clicked or activated the 'solved'

status button; so I have asked the Community Host to look at this, and fix that error. If they can.

By un-marking this thread as 'solved' other users with an idea on how to help, wouldn't ignore it.

Happened to check my email and noticed a link from Apple support regarding this thread, so I sought

to see what was going on. I've been offline. As this is a user-to-user peer technical discussions area

it does not see much interactive Apple staff; most who reply here are not representative of Apple, Inc.

Thought I'd post a reply even though I have not considered your recent post here nor have I formulated

any thought on what that may be. However an Apple Store (retail) with Genius staff can be helpful and

will not charge for inspection and testing; that is an idea. A reservation for an appointment is advised.

The computer need not be new, to have a genius look into issues and offer advice on resolving them.

An Apple Store genius could resolve the issue, and use the internet to install a completely new OS X

and original applications; they could be downloaded from the Apple server. Internet Recovery is part

of the OS X Recovery in your computer. The trained staff may also have other options we don't have.

In the absence of an official retail Apple Store w/ genius, an authorized Apple service provider can help.

However the services they provide would usually be considered at the standard technician shop rate.

Does the computer you have, qualify for an AppleCare or other service plan, warranty, or help from the

business you bought it from? Some floor models do have something if the unit is essentially new/ish.

Hopefully the problems you've encountered can be sorted out...😐

Jan 23, 2016 12:01 AM in response to lovenlight13

The post above has a few minor edits to it; the concept of Internet Recovery to attempt

to restore all the content (including erase the partition where OS X is installed) would be

possible; and as such, it would require a good internet connection with great bandwidth

and Ethernet. This could take many hours download time, and then other time to sort it.

Sometimes, they can do the work while you are there with your computer, other times

the product may have to be left and picked up at a later time. All depends on the visit.

• OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

There are different things this can perform in regard to installing, including to use the

utilities to erase and reinstall a system. These may be too technical for some users,

or at least unfamiliar & so uncomfortable to try due to nervous anxiety of odd results.

• If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer.
  • If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased.

An Apple Store with Genius bar should have access to better internet speeds than most

residential locations; to make an appointment with one, even if the nearest is 70 miles

away, (unless terrible weather) could be well worth it. An official genius visit is without fee.

Anyway, the time is getting later (only 10:50PM AKST local) and I'm uncertain if the status

of the earlier reply can or will be un-marked to remove the solved-status. I did ask, though.

Not sure what else to suggest at this moment. I'd have to re-read your information and

then study some of the Support articles and other sources available online. The advice

is mostly going to require hands-on to re-install the correct OS X and applications...

Time for another cup of coffee. Then I'll reconsider this: If no action is done (on status un-

solved) you can reformulate the question and condense facts about the newest computer.

One idea may be to re-post the topic with different title and in the form of a new question.

Do not duplicate this one, and perhaps someone with more hands-on can offer a cure.

Even though it's a Friday (11PM here in AK) there are a few people on the other side who

are just getting up, and its Saturday almost everywhere but here now!

{Years ago in a MacBoards discussion section far far away, I used a coffee cup as an avatar

and went by the quickly invented alias of 'javajoe' at the applelinks forums; they're long gone!}

As far as it goes, good luck in any event! 🙂

Jan 24, 2016 11:04 AM in response to lovenlight13

Hello, again:

Ideas such as the process covered by this macworldUK article are fairly easy

if you do not wish to backup anything, and simply restore the original content.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-reset-macbook-restore-your-mac-original -factory-settings-3494564/

Some of this is easily ignored; and the main problem is in knowing which parts.

Since you aren't wanting to save the mess that is in the Macintosh HD partition

in the computer hard drive; you can ignore advice to backup and make clones.

This covers similar ground, but has in-article additional information:

• How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

If you aren't restoring from a Time Machine backup (as some would do) given

you do not want the stuff that is in the computer at all, only a new copy of the

original system (or copy of most recent OS X that was installed, if newer) the

need to use OS X Utilities in the Recovery boot partition would erase the OS X

from the location it was originally installed; easier if you did not rename the HDD.

{To save a copy of the installer once it is downloaded and before it is run, is an

idea that can save a lot of time; instead of waiting again for a slow internet...}

That is discussed in this other article that covers similar ground:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806/how-to-install-mac-os-x-yosemite.html

Another way to make a copy of the installer for later re-use, is covered here:

http://diskmakerx.com/

Anyway, these items plus the previous reference to OS X Recovery (included in

these) should allow you to try & succeed; however the download times to get

these larger files from the Apple Servers to reinstall the OS X may be hours.

Sometimes the included apps may not appear with the OS X installation so it

may be necessary to revisit the App Store, after the system is reinstalled, to

see your Purchase History, the included applications should appear as would

the date they were originally activated. They should be free to reinstall.

Note the part where you choose to erase a specific section in the hard drive

(Macintosh HD) via the Disk Utility within the recovery's startup utilities...

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/18/clean-install-os-x-yosemite/ -- another angle.

In any event...

edited 2x

Jan 24, 2016 2:27 PM in response to lovenlight13

You are welcome...!

Though I know where to look for and understand most of the instructions

given the fact I've been starting to use a newer Mac more and more, these

issues may become my own at some point due to the reliance on Recovery

& the cloud-based OS X update/upgrade system my old Macs do not use.

Hopefully you can make a backup of the installer and also backups of your

computer system, plus your own created works; these on separate media

or in places where the computer's Time Machine won't overwrite or compete

with them. Consider investing in quality backup hardware devices, a few of

the better examples may be found in the OWC macsales.com site.

Good luck into the future 🙂

Undo migration assistant transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.