Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to slow down a track so I can lower the pitch...

Hi. I need to sing vocals over a song file (mp3) set in a register that is substantially too high for me. It may actually work if my voice is recorded slower and then I speed it up to raise the pitch to that of the song. Can anyone suggest how I would do this?

I supposed I would need to slow the song down and record my voice, then speed the whole thing up, and tried simply changing the tempo (BPM), but the original mp3 of the music appears to play at the same speed.

How can I slow the music (lowering its pitch) so that I can sing it, then raise it to its tempo again? Or is there a better way, precluding an operation? :-)

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 15" early 2013 | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 12:47 PM

Which version of GarageBand are you using?

I'd try to use the vocal transformers to raise the pitch of the voice instead of slowing down and speeding up again.

In GarageBand '11 the vocal transformers are available in the the Edit panel for the vocal track: You can either us the predefined pitch shifts or use the custom setting. You amy need to change the formant as well to make it sound naturally.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2016 12:47 PM in response to A. Steinberg

Which version of GarageBand are you using?

I'd try to use the vocal transformers to raise the pitch of the voice instead of slowing down and speeding up again.

In GarageBand '11 the vocal transformers are available in the the Edit panel for the vocal track: You can either us the predefined pitch shifts or use the custom setting. You amy need to change the formant as well to make it sound naturally.

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2016 12:50 PM in response to léonie

Thanks! I am using v10.1. Is this still valid?

The issue is: How do I sing using the filter, but make it match the song's pitch? Won't I simply be pitched below the music? (Does this make sense? I don;t know if I can get the melody right if I am not singing along with the music transcribed to the same signature as I am singing...) I could try to sing an entire octave lower, I suppose...but it gets pretty low. (My range is not what it used to be.)

Jan 18, 2016 12:59 PM in response to A. Steinberg

You could add a vocal transformer or an AUPitch filter to the backing track you are singing to. That is what I usually do, when I need to sing a fifth lower than the backing track. Afterwards remove the AUPitch filter to make the track sound natural again.

Thanks! I am using v10.1. Is this still valid?

Yes, GarageBand 10.1 also has vocal transformers:

Open the Smart Controls for the vocal track, then click the Info panel, then click an empty brick in the plug-ins section:

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2016 4:04 AM in response to léonie

Hi, Léonie and community. I have tried to apply this transformer and am having several problems.

First and perhaps most importantly, the amount of distortion is substantial; it is impossible to sing along to the warped-out and fuzzy result of turning on the transformer, even at only +1 or -1. And the effect does not seem to work on the entire track; some of the instruments are on one pitch and others are on a different one. It sounds like a cassette tape that someone drove a car over. Any thoughts?

I also have no idea what "formant" is -- the alternative to the pitch control. Perhaps I should be adjusting this, instead?

Lastly, it would be great if there were some presets here as in the screen shots you sent, e.g., up a fourth or down a fifth...did these not come in until v. 11?
I cannot find them.

I'll start with these; perhaps clearing this up will help with other issues. Thanks!

-Adam-

Feb 14, 2016 4:18 AM in response to A. Steinberg

Lastly, it would be great if there were some presets here as in the screen shots you sent, e.g., up a fourth or down a fifth...did these not come in until v. 11?

GarageBand '11 is the the older version. It is called GarageBand '11 because it is part of iLife '11, but the actual version number is 6.0.5.

You are having the newest version.

Many presets did not come over from GarageBand '11,but GarageBand 10 has also a few Vocal Transformer presets. Try "Male Voice Double" to see how to raise your voice slightly.

If the voice with the raised pitch sounds weird, adjust both formant and pitch. The presets in the Vocal Transformer Settings will give you an idea how to adjust them.

User uploaded file

I want to slow down a track so I can lower the pitch...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.