Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Apple ID showing on the ICloud settings page is wrong and shows my old email address which does not exist as an Apple ID

The Apple ID showing on the ICloud settings page is wrong and shows my old email address which does not exist as an Apple ID. I keep being asked to sign into this old apple ID but when I try to reset the password the Apple website tells me this "old" email address is not a valid ID, if that makes sense. I have tried to log out of ICloud but still keep being asked for the password to sign out of Find my Ipad.

I know my correct Apple ID and password and have checked the details on the Apple website which shows the Ipad on the list of devices.

The Ipad will no longer connect to WiFi and I took it to John Lewis today where I purchased it and they think the whole problem is being caused by this ID problem.

Other than take it to the Apple store, does anyone have any suggestions please?

<Subject Edited by Host>

iPad Air, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 12:18 PM

23 replies

May 3, 2017 10:33 PM in response to Rhean1975

I am having the same problem with no solution to resolve. And iCloud is still upgrading - I've stopped the iPhone restore - to no avail. Unable to enter password for invalid email address that is my old apple ID. My new apple ID works fine in the store and iTunes - but can't get icloud drive to stop upgrading. I can see all my contacts in icloud on PC but can't get them into my phone. Apple needs to fix this. P.S. I am running IOS 10.1. Did you ever solve the problem?

Jul 10, 2017 11:53 AM in response to Mrsbarwocle

well i have an issue on the accounts page that shows every thing correct however there is an icloud address allong with my gmail and my yahoo but the icloud of alice clause should not be there and it will not let me move it edit and delete it or anything....can you handle that ? and can she use my payment info if she was to be in the icloud portion and see her email...any mail i try to send comes up sending this alice person a cc of my correspondance so of course i dont' want that so i dont

use the email program even though i would like to

sincerely

brenda o.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jan 18, 2016 2:26 PM in response to Mrsbarwocle

Welcome to the Apple community.

If you are unable to remember your password, security questions, don’t have access to your rescue address or are unable to reset your password for whatever reason, your only option is to contact Apple ID Support, upon speaking to an operator you should explain that your problem is related to your Apple ID, this way you will not be charged for assistance, even if you don’t have an AppleCare plan.

You will need to show patience with the procedure and be prepared to demonstrate without question that the account belongs to you. Don’t expect access to be restored immediately and if you aren’t the owner of the Apple ID registered to the device the account won’t be reset.

Jan 19, 2016 4:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I don't think you understand the problem. The person knows their Apple ID but because it has changed, the correct ID is not showing in iCloud. If there was a way for them to enter the correct ID and Password all would be fine. I have the exact situation. All I wanted to do was change my email because I closed the old email account. Apple then changed my ID. Unfortunately this change was not global and I have had to change it myself in various places. But iCloud automatically loads my old ID with no opportunity for me to change or enter the correct ID. So how do we get this changed?

Jan 19, 2016 4:50 AM in response to tsfromok

I may have left some information out. Apple ID I believe has been changed in iCloud thus can not sign in with old ID. The problem seems to be on the iPhone itself in that it load the old ID without the ability to modify it. So the end result is iPhone won't allow anything but the old ID which is invalid. I hope that clarifies things.

Jan 19, 2016 5:04 AM in response to tsfromok

Use these steps to change your Apple ID temporarily:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Edit in the Account section, then click Change Email Address.
  3. Change your Apple ID to the email address that iCloud is asking you to sign in with.
  4. Sign out of your account page.

Then sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Tap Settings > iCloud on your iOS device.
  2. Scroll down and tap Sign Out, then tap Sign Out to confirm. If you're using iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account, then tap Delete to confirm.
  3. Tap Keep on My [Device] or Delete from My [Device], and enter the password for your Apple ID. Your data remains in iCloud, and it will be updated on your device when you sign in to iCloud again.
  4. If you're signed in on more than one device with this Apple ID, repeat steps 1-3 on each device.
  5. Go to your Apple ID account page, and sign in again.
  6. Change your Apple ID to the email address that you want to use. You'll need to verify the email address.
  7. Tap Settings > iCloud on your iOS device, and sign in with your new Apple ID.

If these steps don’t work, change your Apple ID temporarily again. Then sign back in to your Apple ID account page to make sure that your Apple ID was changed.

May 28, 2016 4:58 AM in response to Mrsbarwocle

I thought I had this problem. I tried to update apps and it asked me for the password to an old email address which I no longer had access to. After months of wondering why I couldn't ever access App Store, I phoned Apple support and they explained that the apps which I had already downloaded would always ask for the email address I used to get them. The simplest thing was to delete them and re-download them.

Jun 12, 2016 10:01 PM in response to Mrsbarwocle

My problem is on my iphone. When I sign in using the old email address, as this answer suggests, it wants to send access info to THAT email address.... which does me no good because the reason I want to change it is because I don't HAVE that email account anymore.... Since I'm doing all this while I'm already logged in with my current AppleID & security questions answered, why is this so difficult?

The Apple ID showing on the ICloud settings page is wrong and shows my old email address which does not exist as an Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.