Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iCloud to host picture for forum posts?

I've just upgraded my photo library from Aperture to Photos and spent three weeks uploading all my pictures to the cloud. Now that they are up in the cloud I was wondering whether I can use iCloud to host pictures for posting on internet forums and the like? Many of these will not let you directly upload a photo, just link to where it is already hosted (using [IMG] tags). In the past I had been using SmugMug for this, but it seems silly to pay two subscription fees for cloud photos (my library is big enough I am having to pay Apple a monthly fee, for the extra storage).

I'm guessing the way to do this is to set up a Shared Album and set it to Public Website. There doesn't seem to be any option, in either the Photos app or the website generated, to set the resolution of the images linked to. Any suggestions?

Also: if you go on to edit the original photo, does the shared version automatically update? In my brief test converting the photo to Black & White in my Photos library doesn't change the picture's appearance in the Shared Album. This seems odd as it suggests Apple are hosting two versions of the picture - one for me and one for sharing. Surely that doubles their storage requirements? If the photos are not syncing, I might be better off just exporting the ones I want to post to Flikr, or something similar (but free), which is properly set up for what I am trying to do.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 4:23 AM

I'm guessing the way to do this is to set up a Shared Album and set it to Public Website. There doesn't seem to be any option, in either the Photos app or the website generated, to set the resolution of the images linked to. Any suggestions?

Yes. That is the only way to share image files.

The resolution is set automatically. iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices will have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

Also: if you go on to edit the original photo, does the shared version automatically update? In my brief test converting the photo to Black & White in my Photos library doesn't change the picture's appearance in the Shared Album.

No, you will simply have to share the edited version again and delete the previous version from the shared album.

This seems odd as it suggests Apple are hosting two versions of the picture - one for me and one for sharing. Surely that doubles their storage requirements?

Shared albums are using a different part of iCloud from your iCloud Photo Library. The storage for shared photos does not count against your iCloud subscription, but it is limited, see: iCloud: My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Stephen Connor

Yes. That is the only way to share image files.

The resolution is set automatically. iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices will have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

Also: if you go on to edit the original photo, does the shared version automatically update? In my brief test converting the photo to Black & White in my Photos library doesn't change the picture's appearance in the Shared Album.

No, you will simply have to share the edited version again and delete the previous version from the shared album.

This seems odd as it suggests Apple are hosting two versions of the picture - one for me and one for sharing. Surely that doubles their storage requirements?

Shared albums are using a different part of iCloud from your iCloud Photo Library. The storage for shared photos does not count against your iCloud subscription, but it is limited, see: iCloud: My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits

How to use iCloud to host picture for forum posts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.