Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set a double-click on my Apple Mouse?

Over the years, I've used many third-party mice, but now, in part because of driver problems with such mice, I'd like to give the Apple Mouse that I got with my newish iMac a try. But I'm really used to having the right mouse button issue a double-click. Double-clicking by clicking once with my middle finger greatly eases the strain on my arthritic fingers. Is there a way to set the secondary click to be a double-click on the Apple Mouse? (I'm used to using Ctrl-click to get to context menus, so I don't need the usual right-click setting on the mouse.)

Thanks,

Rob

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Mac user since August, 1985

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 5:55 PM

You might want to take a look at BetterTouchTool. If you are using a wired Apple Mouse you can set for example middle click to be a double click. It does a whole lot more of course. Right now it's still free but its changing to some sort of pay what you want plan. I didn't read it all.

There is no doubt a way to write a small script you could trigger with the mouse to double click but that is something I personally have never done.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2016 5:55 PM in response to Rob Stevenson

You might want to take a look at BetterTouchTool. If you are using a wired Apple Mouse you can set for example middle click to be a double click. It does a whole lot more of course. Right now it's still free but its changing to some sort of pay what you want plan. I didn't read it all.

There is no doubt a way to write a small script you could trigger with the mouse to double click but that is something I personally have never done.

Jan 18, 2016 6:07 PM in response to dialabrain

BetterTouchTool looks like it will be very useful. Thanks for the tip.

I have a wireless Magic Mouse, by the way. I generally prefer a much larger, especially much taller, mouse than that, but I see that BetterTouchTool works with many input devices, so it won't be a loss even if I have to pay for it and then decide to switch back to a third party mouse.

Rob

Can I set a double-click on my Apple Mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.