Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charging difficulties

hhello there,

i have a friend who has an iPhone 5, he bought his iPhone from Denmark, and has a generic iPhone Apple lightning cable with it.

however, he can charge his phone with that cable, but can't with my generic Apple charging cable (Australian one). I cant see any differences in the cables or phone lightning slot.

i was wondering if there was any way to charge his phone with another cable, as it becomes a problem sometimes.

ive tried basic troubleshooting steps; such as restarting the phone, holding both buttons in (lock, home) for 30 seconds, but none have worked.

if anybody has a fix for this or knows what's causing it I would love to know, thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2, Phone originally bought in Denmark.

Posted on Jan 18, 2016 9:27 PM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2016 7:39 AM in response to Jazza1202

Hi Jazza1202,

Your post doesn't indicate if you have tried to charge the iPhone with the USB cable that came with your iPhone. The resource below provides some information about charging your iPhone.

Charge your iPhone and iPod touch

When your iPhone or iPod touch is on, you’ll see the battery indicator in the upper-right corner of the screen. This shows how much battery life is left. You can also show the battery percentage in the status bar on your iPhone.

Plug in to a power source

Use the USB cable that came with your device and plug in to one of these power sources (if you’re using a third-party cable or accessory, make sure it’s Apple certified).

Power outlet: Use a USB power adapter and connect to a power outlet.

When your device is charging, you’ll see a small lightning bolt next to the battery User uploaded file. Learn what to do if your device doesn't charge when you plug it in.

About iPhone, iPad, and iPod accessories

Take care,

Jan 20, 2016 8:22 AM in response to judysings

I Have charged using the GENUINE USB CABLE. It works, but but iwhen I go to use my friends cable, which is also genuine, it doesnt work.

its strange though, his is from Denmark, mine is from Australia.

but today I tried my sisters iPhone charger, which is from an iPhone 5 aswell, and my phone is a iPhone 6, but it wouldn't let me use it.... I can only use my own charger, while they can use mine.

i Feel a little cheated and ripped off.

aall genuine chargers, original cables, but strangely enough it doesn't seem to work with the latest model....is that even typical or normal on an iPhone device???

im not stupid, I know what the charging symbol is, I know it has to be connected to a power outlet(ofcourse!!!....Who Knew!?!?),

but it it is just strange that the lower iphone can charge from my cable, while the lower Denmark one cant, and that I cant use any of them to Charge my phone except my cable.

ITs just pure strange or like a scheme for customers to assume that their phone is outdated and doesnt work with the latest tech, when really, it is Apple placing limitations on what software/hardware devices/electronics that you can use on your phone.

But I could be wrong, if anyone has a solution, and reads my description of my problem and UNDERSTANDS IT, then please share your thoughts,

thanks,

iPhone 5 charging difficulties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.