Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to get El Capitan to connect to older NAS servers using SMB v1 ?

I'm unable to connect to an old Buffalo TeraStation NAS and I see this message in the OS X system log:

kernel: smb1_smb_negotiate: Support for the server <server-name> has been deprecated (PreXP), disconnecting

In earlier versions of OS X it was possible to change configuration settings to allow it to connect to older NAS boxes but none of these work in El Capitan.

Is there a way to get OS X to connect to a NAS using legacy SMB ?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 9:17 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2016 1:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

I should have said that I've already tried using "cifs://" as the protocol and I get the same error dialog:

There was a problem connecting to the server "ip-address".

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

OK

and if I look in the system log, again I see:

kernel: smb1_smb_negotiate: Support for the server <server-name> has been deprecated (PreXP), disconnecting

Jan 21, 2016 3:14 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your suggestions.

However, they all apply to earlier versions of OS X and it appears that Apple has changed something fundamental with SMB support in 10.11 El Capitan.

My suspicion is that SMB v1 support has been removed as the earlier methods of forcing an SMB v1 connection (such as using the cifs:// protocol specifier) no longer work.

Just to be clear - I've tried all the suggestions you've listed (and others) and none of them resolves the problem.

Aug 10, 2016 3:24 AM in response to sshort_uk

While the cifs:// approach has been a common past suggestion there is a settings file you can edit in OS X to tell OS X to use a specific version of SMB.

I suggest you do the following in Terminal.app to find out more details about this.

man nsmb.conf

Note: The nsmb.conf file can be in one of two locations it can be at ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf or it can be at /etc/nsmb.conf as standard neither will initially exist and therefore the default settings - in this case first trying SMB3 will apply. Only if you create a file in one of these locations will it take effect. The /etc/nsmb.conf if it exists overrides any individual users copy.

Note: nsmb.conf controls settings where your Mac is the SMB client and is connecting to another SMB server. A different file controls settings where the Mac is the SMB server, this is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist

See - If you can mount a file server using AFP but not SMB - Apple Support

A second related issue that was introduced with El Capitan was the new requirement that packet signing be used, i.e. the default setting is that the client connecting to your Mac must now support packet signing. Some older multi-function printers in particular do not support this. Other than updating the firmware of such printers it is also possible to turn this setting off in OS X as below.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired false

This would not affect Macs connecting to other SMB servers only when a SMB client tries connecting to the Mac, therefore I do not believe it should be relevant to your issue.

Note: Windows has supported packet signing for a very long time.

Is there a way to get El Capitan to connect to older NAS servers using SMB v1 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.