Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail attachments corrupted

I have an iPad2 running iOS 9.2. with the mail app attached to an Exchange account using ActiveSync. All of a sudden I receive an email with an attachment (so far includes PDF, Word, JPG) where I am able to download the full attachment but when I try to open I get a blank screen or a generic cannot open message. I then have that same message forwarded FROM the iPad mail app to my Exchange account and when trying to open I find that it is corrupted. When I access the same email account FROM the same iPad using Safari and OWA, I am able to download the attachment and open successfully. This is indicating that the issue is specific to the mail app AND Exchange. I am also seeing that there are a large number of complaints for the same type of issue on iOS versions 7.1 as well as 9 and above but referencing POP3/IMAP.

Is anyone else having the same type of issue and have you found a fix for it?

iPad 2, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 9:59 AM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2016 9:50 AM in response to Novaburst

Yesterday I posted what I think may be similar or related, in a different Apple forum (IPad Use). Search on "IOS 9 Email from Exchange Clients - Can't Download". I wrote a very wordy (probably similar to this) text. Same emails coming in from other servers (GMAIL, Roadrunner, Live, Yahoo, etc.) come with attachments that we view.

After several hand-offs, I talked with Apple Support Senior Technician. He was very mater-of-fact, indicating that since I was able to send and receive emails from the server on the IPad, it was not an IPad equipment or software problem, but an Exchange Server (not his) problem.

Email attachments worked fine prior to IOS 9 updates on several IPads, but very intermittently do they work (show photos or PDF docs) now.

Sorry, I but don't have an answer yet. We are working from an older/outdated Exchange Server 2003, but . . . what the heck?

Having wiped and re-installed IOS several times now, we still have the same, what seem to be intermittent issues. Sometimes we can view them, sometimes we can't.

Update: I just created same email account on different IPad, and a new email with photo attachments came in as expected! But when I looked back at old emails with PDF or JPG attachments, they wouldn't open - like they weren't saved from the last download - is this due to the change that came with IOS 9?. Could something (in Exchange or IOS) be preventing us from downloading attachments multiple times?

Could this be your "corrupted" attachment problem?

May 30, 2016 6:22 AM in response to SteveLemaster

I strongly believe this is an iOS issue. Our Android and BB devices are not seeing the problem. And what boggles my mind is the iPhone6 and iPhone5s are hit+miss; all the iphones are up to date with 9.3.2. When forwarding 2010/2016 word, excel or pdf's docs from the Apple devices to Exchange 2010 users, they become corrupt and unable to open on those user's 2010/2016 Office suites. Doing the same actions from Android and BB phones, I am not seeing the same problem.

Our work around is to get users to avoid their iPhone and painstakingly use the laptops to communicate. Is this what Apple really want us to do? Or invest further into Android/BB devices.

May 30, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Phil Flash

I've heard of these reports for the last two years.

What version of microsoft exchange are you using?

Install the latest version of exchange.

Work-arounds:

=> Problem goes away when using the imap protocol. Hence, have the users get a gmail account like. Send the attachments through the gmail account.

=> zip files before sending. Get an ios unzip app.

mail attachments corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.