Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my cursor in the wrong place?

In both Mail and Safari, if I type text and then go back to edit it, my editing does not take place in the spot where I place my cursor, but often 4 or 5 characters behind (even though the cursor is still in the right place). I had this problem in Yosemite in Mail, but this is the first time I've noticed it in Safari as well.

This does not occur in all situations. For example, my editing works perfectly here, but if I open another tab and post something in Facebook, it will be off.

Not sure if it has something to do with the default font or character encoding or what, but it's eating up time! Thanks for any help. - Jay

This is on a brand-new Macbook Pro 13" with retina and dual displays.

Mac OS X (10.1)

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 2:41 PM

4 replies

Sep 6, 2016 5:36 PM in response to jscheuerle

Do you have any system or keyboard extensions installed that might cause this?

Try Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key at startup. Safe Boot is quite slow because the OS performs some cleanup and verification tasks, so give it time. After you're completely logged in, restart normally.

Why is my cursor in the wrong place?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.