Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No response from my ipod shuffle 4th Gen, no power, no computer recognition

Dear all

I've seen several similar posts on the communities but I've tried everything I could see but couldn't fix my problem.

My shuffle won't turn on, it can't be recognised by my iMac when connected and it doesn't show any light.

I've tried several things:

1. resetting (several times) by turning off for 10sec and then on again.

2. charge via the wall charger for an hour...still nothing

3. apparently someone said we could plug it in and out of the charger until there is enough power to kick start something in case my battery is completely drained. I've tried that too for about 5 mins, still see no signs of any lights.

4. I have tried 2 original ipod shuffle cords and also 2 bought from internet, no difference. And yes, they are pushed all the way in.

Is there anything else I can try before giving up? Mine is just over one year old so it's no longer under warranty.

Thank you all very much

Regards,

Simon

iPod shuffle (4th generation late 2012)

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 12:45 AM

Sounds like you tried a lot of things. Even if the battery is dead, you should get some reaction (like a red light) when connected. It could be the USB cable, but you tried two from Apple. The ones "brought from Internet" may be suspect - they could be for the 2nd gen shuffle, which has a different connector and would not work with 4th gen shuffle. You tried charging from a USB power adapter, so the problem is not a bad USB port on the Mac.

My guess is a problem with the headphones jack on the shuffle; it's not making a power connection. Or it could be a fault on the logic board. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can make an appointment with the store's Genius Bar (tech support staff), even if it's out of warranty.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2016 12:45 AM in response to emailtosimon

Sounds like you tried a lot of things. Even if the battery is dead, you should get some reaction (like a red light) when connected. It could be the USB cable, but you tried two from Apple. The ones "brought from Internet" may be suspect - they could be for the 2nd gen shuffle, which has a different connector and would not work with 4th gen shuffle. You tried charging from a USB power adapter, so the problem is not a bad USB port on the Mac.

My guess is a problem with the headphones jack on the shuffle; it's not making a power connection. Or it could be a fault on the logic board. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can make an appointment with the store's Genius Bar (tech support staff), even if it's out of warranty.

No response from my ipod shuffle 4th Gen, no power, no computer recognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.