Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivity issue using 10.11.3 (15D21)

Updated my iMac to latest version of iOS -- 10.11.3 (15D21) -- first thing this morning. Now, most websites don't appear to load properly.

Using both Chrome (default browser) and Safari (test browser), Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Gmail all work fine, but CBS News, The New York Times, my own, and others seem to be perpetually loading...

My phone is hooked up to the same router / modem as my desktop, also runs Chrome and experiences no issues with any of these websites.just

Why can't Apple test stuff before sending it out? Seriously... Every new patch brings about a new set of issues. It's awesome to be on the customer side of that relationship...

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2018 1:09 PM

I just installed OS X 10.11.3 today and lost connectivity and could not browse the internet. I am running ESET Security Pro for Mac.

Turning OFF ESET did not fix the problem but completely uninstalling ESET and rebooting did fix the problem and all runs normally now without ESET.

There is clearly a compatibility issue between ESET and OS X 10.11.3 -- your machine is effectively rendered unusable with 10.11.3 unless you completely uninstall ESET.

The uninstaller for ESET is located within the ESET package. You go to Finder, right click on ESET, and if you fish around in the subdirectories you will find the UNINSTALLER app. Uninstall ESET, reboot, and your problem will be fixed.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Speckta

I just installed OS X 10.11.3 today and lost connectivity and could not browse the internet. I am running ESET Security Pro for Mac.

Turning OFF ESET did not fix the problem but completely uninstalling ESET and rebooting did fix the problem and all runs normally now without ESET.

There is clearly a compatibility issue between ESET and OS X 10.11.3 -- your machine is effectively rendered unusable with 10.11.3 unless you completely uninstall ESET.

The uninstaller for ESET is located within the ESET package. You go to Finder, right click on ESET, and if you fish around in the subdirectories you will find the UNINSTALLER app. Uninstall ESET, reboot, and your problem will be fixed.

Nov 1, 2018 1:09 PM in response to M@dVet

Uninstall followed by a Reinstall will not work. You need to uninstall it and leave it uninstalled.

1) Uninstall and leave it uninstalled

2) Reboot

3) Enable your original Apple Mac Firewall

Don't use ESET at all, leave it uninstalled.

That's the fix and it worked for me on two different Macs I have that were recently upgraded to 10.11.3

Nov 1, 2018 1:09 PM in response to M@dVet

FYI, ESET have now been in touch with me. The acknowledge the problem and their developers are working to fix it with urgency.

They are also offering their impacted customers a FREE license extension to compensate them for the trouble.

I just got my 5+5 ESET license pack extended an extra year for FREE.

Jan 20, 2016 9:42 AM in response to chattphotos

BobHarris, yes, those are the URLs

Looking at this thread: Re: Latest El Capitan update a bust there's an off chance it has to do with my anti virus ESET.

I'm getting seriously tired of tech companies coming up with things that only work if you don't follow rudimentary safety practices.

And thanks, chattphotos... That was a typo, but I'm glad you're helping us get to the bottom of this...

Jan 20, 2016 11:06 AM in response to Speckta

The long term forum helpers advise against 3rd party anti-virus, Mac cleaners, and memory cleaner apps, as they are often more harmful than any benefit they claim to provide. We have seen lots of performance issues because of this class of apps. We have seen kernel panics because of this class of apps. We have seen excessive memory usage because of this class of apps.

How does Mac OS X protect me?

<http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-builtin/>

Jan 20, 2016 1:29 PM in response to Speckta

Apparently yes.

Take another look at "Latest El Capitan update a bust" where the OP reports that uninstalling ESET fixed the problem for him.

Here are my thoughts as to why that I posted to that thread:

I do not run ESET, but I do wonder if pulling it from the start-up list is enough to disable it.

It may have kernel modules or another start-up mechanism to initialize itself early in Mac OS boot.

In other words, maybe uninstalling ESET is the only way to actually disable it. Just a thought as a last resort.

Jan 20, 2016 1:38 PM in response to Speckta

Same here:

Updated to OS X 10.11.3 (this morning) and most recent version of ESET Cyber Security Pro.

Browsing got worse and worse until become not useable anymore.

Spent all day troubleshooting my network infrastructure. Everything worked fine except my personal updated macbook pro. All other server and clients (several different OS ecosystems) worked fine.

I was already considering downgrading to Yosemite but did one last google search before that, for peace of mind.

Speckta, thank you for your help: uninstalled ESET and everything is working fine now. Going to contact ESET support.

Last couple of years, I'm sick of spend time solving problems after almost every OS X update. Every time that happens, I consider definitely change to Linux more and more.

(By the way, Apple Mail issues still expecting to be solved.)

Connectivity issue using 10.11.3 (15D21)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.