Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac plus problems

Hi, I have a mac plus which I started up, after storing for years. There was a small bang with a flash seen through the vents. I replaced the internal fuse which was blown and when I turned it on again it blew the fuse again, minus the original bang/flash. Any ideas what might have happened?

mac plus-OTHER

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 4:53 PM

First of all, a word of warning. As you probably already know, opening and working inside a compact Macintosh computer can be very dangerous because of the high voltages involved. Charges can remain in various sections and components (CRT and capacitors) even after the computer has been switched off and disconnected from the mains. All work must be carried out by someone with the necessary expertise.

The broken fuse indicates a short-circuit condition. There could be a number of reasons for this. An inspection might reveal a discoloured or cracked diode, SCR, transistor or electrolytic capacitor. Damaged circuit board traces could possibly be found in the problematic area.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2016 4:53 PM in response to peterpopgun

First of all, a word of warning. As you probably already know, opening and working inside a compact Macintosh computer can be very dangerous because of the high voltages involved. Charges can remain in various sections and components (CRT and capacitors) even after the computer has been switched off and disconnected from the mains. All work must be carried out by someone with the necessary expertise.

The broken fuse indicates a short-circuit condition. There could be a number of reasons for this. An inspection might reveal a discoloured or cracked diode, SCR, transistor or electrolytic capacitor. Damaged circuit board traces could possibly be found in the problematic area.

mac plus problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.