Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm thinking of switching from Windows to Mac.

I am think of switching from Windows 10 PC to a Mac. There is really not enough info when I compare models on this website & since I know nothing about them I can't make a decision. I have some questions. First of all I have an HP 320-1120m all-in-one. I don't care for an all-in-one. Too restrictive on updating the hardware. I'm totally wireless in my home. We have 2 wireless printers, the wireless PC, 2 iPhone6's, an iPad3 & an iPad Air2. I know a little bit of tech but not a lot. I mostly use myiPad Air for everything because I'm disabled & can't sit at a desk with a PC very long. I use my PC for storing pictures & music & running Office on it. I use it, of course, for those things that can't be done on an iPad. Which Mac do you think would suit me best? Can I transfer my files from a Windows PC to a Mac? How tough is that to do? Can I reformat & use my current Seagate external backup with a Mac? Can I use my current Seagate Expansion external drive with the Mac? Will my printers work with the Mac? They are both HP's, wireless. An HP8600 all-in-one desk pro & an HP Envy100. Would a laptop, a desktop or a mini be best for my needs? Can I use the same modem & router? I have high speed internet through TWC, 30mbs. I know this is a lot but if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 1:18 PM

5 replies

Jan 20, 2016 3:09 PM in response to mkj3757

mkj3757 wrote:

I am think of switching from Windows 10 PC to a Mac. There is really not enough info when I compare models on this website & since I know nothing about them I can't make a decision. I have some questions. First of all I have an HP 320-1120m all-in-one. I don't care for an all-in-one. Too restrictive on updating the hardware. I'm totally wireless in my home. We have 2 wireless printers, the wireless PC, 2 iPhone6's, an iPad3 & an iPad Air2. I know a little bit of tech but not a lot. I mostly use myiPad Air for everything because I'm disabled & can't sit at a desk with a PC very long. I use my PC for storing pictures & music & running Office on it. I use it, of course, for those things that can't be done on an iPad. Which Mac do you think would suit me best? Can I transfer my files from a Windows PC to a Mac? How tough is that to do? Can I reformat & use my current Seagate external backup with a Mac? Can I use my current Seagate Expansion external drive with the Mac? Will my printers work with the Mac? They are both HP's, wireless. An HP8600 all-in-one desk pro & an HP Envy100. Would a laptop, a desktop or a mini be best for my needs? Can I use the same modem & router? I have high speed internet through TWC, 30mbs. I know this is a lot but if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

Jan 21, 2016 3:22 AM in response to mkj3757

mkj3757 wrote:

I am think of switching from Windows 10 PC to a Mac. There is really not enough info when I compare models on this website & since I know nothing about them I can't make a decision. I have some questions. First of all I have an HP 320-1120m all-in-one. I don't care for an all-in-one. Too restrictive on updating the hardware.

Most Macs are predicated on All-in-one-ness. i.e Most new iMac desktops and Mac laptops cannot be upgraded after the fact. You configure on purchase, and that's what you stay with.

If you want upgrade possibilities the only real option for Mac is the Mac Pro cylinder. Which has the most upgradability of all.

mkj3757 wrote:

I Which Mac do you think would suit me best?

Any Mac can do whatever your PC can. Probably an entry level iMac can over those needs pretty well. But again no upgrade options after the fact for that one.

mkj3757 wrote:

Can I transfer my files from a Windows PC to a Mac? How tough is that to do?

Yes. it should be fairly simply. Apple has a Migration assistant to go from Windows to Mac.

Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac - Apple Support

mkj3757 wrote:

Can I reformat & use my current Seagate external backup with a Mac?

Yes. Disk Utility on the Mac can let you reformat the external drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled so OSx can write to it. OSx can read from a Windows formatted NTFS drive just fine however it can;t write to it.

mkj3757 wrote:

Can I use my current Seagate Expansion external drive with the Mac?

Probably. Look on Seagate's site for support with that.

mkj3757 wrote:

Will my printers work with the Mac? They are both HP's, wireless. An HP8600 all-in-one desk pro & an HP Envy100.

Very likely yes. Follow HP's instructions to install them on the Mac.

mkj3757 wrote:

Can I use the same modem & router? I have high speed internet through TWC, 30mbs.

Yes. The wireless connections should work fine with a Mac.

Jan 21, 2016 5:59 PM in response to mkj3757

I have some questions. First of all I have an HP 320-1120m all-in-one. I don't care for an all-in-one. Too restrictive on updating the hardware.

Apple has gone in the direction of fixed hardware 😠. The memory size is fixed. I would not get less than 8gig for the home user, better to go with 16gig if you plan on upgrading to the latest OS each year.

Decide whether you want a laptop or desktop.

Steve Jobs put forth the idea to reduce the number of mac models. A consumer and a professional variant, hence "pro".

Decide where you are headed & we can help some more.

R

I'm thinking of switching from Windows to Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.