Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use Disk Utility in Yosemite

My iMac originally came with an OS X Install DVD for 10.6.2. Whenever, I had computer issues, I normally would boot up from the install dvd and use Disk Utility. I have recently upgraded to Yosemite. The DVD will mount on my desktop but the Install icon now has a slash on it. I know for newer iMacs that don't have a superdrive you can get Disk Utility by restarting and pressing down on R. I believe that gets you Recovery mode. Is that what I should do know too? I know you can run Disk Utility from the Utilities folder, but that application only checks for permissions and fixes them. How do I check for problems with the hard drive?

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 2:15 PM

10 replies

Jan 20, 2016 2:53 PM in response to paulmont

Some older Macs were not able to update the firmware to allow internet recovery. Here is some info on that:

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Internet recovery requires Command + Option + R keys to work. Local recovery (on newer machines) requires Command + R, so you can try either one of those methods.

What exactly are you trying to do in Disk Utility?

Jan 20, 2016 3:19 PM in response to babowa

My iMac has been acting up lately. Couple weeks back it hummed loudly while I was listening to audio. At the same time my applications froze and I had to do a hard reboot. I've had issues in Quark 10 trying to print export a document into a pdf and the program freezes up in mid process. I would need to force quit Quark. I've had issues duplicating pdfs to another folder. I would drag and drop the file but I get an error message saying the the file was in use even though it is not open. After 4-6 attempts at drag and drop, the file will eventually copy. I was hoping Disk Utility might fix some of these issues or at least repair after all my restarts and force quits.

How can I use Disk Utility in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.