Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choose network connection for internet and LAN

I have several Macs in my office all connected on the same ethernet LAN with internet access. There are two Mac Pros close in proximity to one another and I'd like to use a Thunderbolt connection between them.

When Thunderbolt is the "preferred" network (meaning top of the network list) the Macs communicate but can no long access the internet. When Ethernet 1 is "preferred" the internet works, but they are also communicating over the LAN and not through the Thunderbolt.

These particular Macs share a ton of assets and resources so I would much prefer they use the Thunderbolt connection. Is there a way to make the Macs prefer to communicate over the Thunderbolt, but use the Ethernet for internet?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 2:10 PM

1 reply

Jan 20, 2016 8:43 PM in response to UOVSE

If you could give those two Macs Manual Ethernet addresses over ThunderBolt (only) that are not part of the Router serving the Internet, then the traffic would get sent directly over ThunderBolt.

If you have Gigabit Ethernet Switches, using Gigabit Ethernet gives "near Hard Drive" speeds, and the computers only use the Switch function to communicate directly, their packets do not get Routed. Gigabit Ethernet requires all eight conductors in the cables.

Similarly, if you gave the second Ethernet ports manual addresses that are not part of the Router's Network, and provided cables, you could have a private Gigabit Ethernet Network going between them.

A Network with no connection to the Internet has no DNS Server, so you will need to use numeric addresses to connect.

Choose network connection for internet and LAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.