Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding LaserWriter 4/600 PS

Hi there, folks

I have an Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS that I do NOT know how to configure/add printer.

I have a LocalTalk to Ethernet Bridge (Dayna Mini EtherPrint) and a Linksys 5-Port Workgroup Hub.

I previously had no printer(s) and/or Ethernet device(s)/service(s). Using Wi-Fi for Internet Access.

Do I need the Ethernet hub or can I just connect with the LocalTalk to Ethernet Bridge?

I have previously used the Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS on a Windoze PC running OS XP and a Power Macintosh 8600.

My particulars: MacMini (4,1), OS X (10.6.8).

Any insight/input/info would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thank You for your time, James

Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), LocalTalk to Ethernet Bridge

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 8:05 PM

Hi James,

To begin with, take a look at the AppleTalk printers section in the OS X: How to connect to an IP-based printer or AppleTalk printer via IP - Apple Support article. You will notice that AppleTalk is not supported in Mac OS X 10.6.

Under normal circumstances, one would try TCP/IP instead. The LaserWriter 4/600 has a LocalTalk port only. However, it appears to be questionable whether the LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge in question, Dayna Mini EtherPrint, is able to pass TCP/IP packets (you may want to check this). If not, another solution (as indicated in the aforementioned article) may have to be tested.

The article LaserWriter Printers: TCP/IP Solutions Guide could possibly be of interest, too.

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2016 8:05 PM in response to H AND J

Hi James,

To begin with, take a look at the AppleTalk printers section in the OS X: How to connect to an IP-based printer or AppleTalk printer via IP - Apple Support article. You will notice that AppleTalk is not supported in Mac OS X 10.6.

Under normal circumstances, one would try TCP/IP instead. The LaserWriter 4/600 has a LocalTalk port only. However, it appears to be questionable whether the LocalTalk to Ethernet bridge in question, Dayna Mini EtherPrint, is able to pass TCP/IP packets (you may want to check this). If not, another solution (as indicated in the aforementioned article) may have to be tested.

The article LaserWriter Printers: TCP/IP Solutions Guide could possibly be of interest, too.

Jan 20, 2016 8:53 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply!

I will read the article(s) you mentioned, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have other installed versions of OS X (10.8.5 & 10.11.2/3?).

Would either one of these installed OSes be better @ handling the AppleTalk issue?

I understand the difference of AppleTalk (software) & LocalTalk (hardware).

I will research further the LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge for TCP/IP packet capabilities.

So at this point, it sound like a matter of having an AppleTalk stack supported in the OS.

I yet again, Thank You for your time, James 🙂

Jan 20, 2016 10:44 PM in response to H AND J

James,

>I have other installed versions of OS X (10.8.5 & 10.11.2/3?).

>Would either one of these installed OSes be better @ handling the AppleTalk issue?

Versions 10.6 and higher do not support AppleTalk.

>So at this point, it sound like a matter of having an AppleTalk stack supported in the OS.

You could perhaps check whether an older machine, somehow, could be transformed into a print server/station. See also, for example, Re: Snow Leopard means no more Appletalk.

Jan 21, 2016 1:54 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Is there any third-party software solutions for adding an AppleTalk (stack)/Print Server to an OS X installation?

I am having a TOUGH time trying to find the specifications of the LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge (ROM: 3.1.1).

There is a switch on the bottom of the bridge: Phase 1 and Phase 2. Set to Phase 2.

Is there a way to "test" the bridge (connect it directly) for TCP/IP packet passing, i.e., via the Terminal and/or some other means?

Even if I could get a "newer" LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge, I guess I would be back to square one with the lack of an AppleTalk stack, Red Rum! 😟

I would rather NOT have to set-up another Mac and make it a print server.

I guess I could sell the Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS for a similar Apple LaserWriter (LW 12/640 PS) with an Ethernet port/jack (Shavin' Creme)! 😟

I once more, Thank You for your time, James 🙂

Jan 21, 2016 2:18 PM in response to H AND J

James,

Information about Dayna Communications products is not easy to find. Intel had a Dayna support site for several years (http://support.intel.com/support/dayna/), but that address today leads to a general support page.

You could perhaps try a web search for something like Mini EtherPrint TCP/IP to begin with (which may confirm that the device is limited to printing via AppleTalk over Ethernet). An Internet archive search may or may not provide additional results of interest.

Unfortunately, one of the few possibilities for this very printer (because of the single LocalTalk port) would be using an older Mac. See, for example, Grant Bennet-Alder's reply here: Re: Snow Leopard means no more Appletalk. Also, there appear to be solutions for printing to the LaserWriter 4/600 PS under Ubuntu.

Jan 21, 2016 3:18 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Great/Good/Wonderful/etc. News! 🙂

I found that I have an iBook SE (PowerBook2,2) running Mac OS X (10.4.6) with 576MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD.

I hope that Mac OS X (10.4.6) has an AppleTalk stack!

That beats having to set-up a Macintosh with a monitor/keyboard and a mouse! 🙂

I will try to print from the iBook to the Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS using the LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge and report my results.

If I am successful, I will read Grant Bennet-Alder's reply about "Snow Leopard means no more AppleTalk".

Jan, you mentioned a print server in one of your previous replies. I think the set-up would be:

"Connecting the iBook to my Ethernet hub (five[5] ports with an Uplink port also) using one(1) of the ports with the LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge using another one(1) of the ports and my client MacMini using another one(1) of the ports. A total of three(3) ports used and NOT using the Uplink port"

I hope that my guess is correct! If NOT, Jan, could you please correct any of my configuration connections.

As for configuring the print server via software, I am TOTALLY lost (in over my head) in this regard! 😟

Again, I Thank You, Jan, for your time, James 🙂

Jan 23, 2016 2:44 PM in response to H AND J

If you are using farralon LocalTalk connectors, you must an active device plugged into every phone-jack port, so that no phone jack is left empty or with just a cord. A 600 ohm resistor on a phone plug is what goes into the last jack.

The EtherPrint is notorious for losing track of the AppleTalk-Side devices, and needing to have its power cycled again to find them.

On the 10.4.6 computer, set up the LaserWriter 4/600, using Print&Fax pane or equivalent. The computer should see it and print to it across your Ethernet connection, to the EtherPrint, and over LocalTalk cabling to the LW 4/600. The Ethernet connection can go through your Router, Switch or Hub, and does not have to be co-located with the old computer.

Then ONLY on that computer, click the checkbox to Share that printer (with the other computers on your network).

The you should be able to add that Shared Printer on a different computer on your network.

Jan 24, 2016 12:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank You, Grant (Jan), so very much! 🙂

A couple of questions.

Why can't I print a test page from the host computer? 😕 I can print a test page from the client computer. 🙂

Do you know of any kind software that can create/generate an "old style" test page, say from either the host and/or client computer?

So I can get an idea of how many pages have been printed and configure if a test page is printed upon power up.

She (Apple LW 4/600 PS) needs a new toner cartridge and I have one in "cold" storage. 🙂

Can I share the client's Wi-Fi and turn it into an AirPrint server?

Or can I add a Wi-Fi access device (http://www.kingston.com/us/wireless/wireless_readers#mlwg2) to the Ethernet hub instead?

I have a few devices (iPhone/iPad Mini/Fire) that I would like to able to print from, instead of sending an email to the client.

Both of you (Jan & Grant), have been a GREAT help! 🙂

Both of you gentlemen do a GREAT service to the Apple support communities! 🙂

I hope to do likewise and return the favor, but my experience is NOT as in-depth as yours (Jan & Grant).

Thank You for your time, James 🙂

PS: Go PATS! 😎

Jan 24, 2016 7:11 AM in response to H AND J

Hello James,

Thank you for the kind words.

Glad to hear that you have been successful.

Grant is the real authority as far as network printing is concerned, but in the meantime just one comment.

>So I can get an idea of how many pages have been printed and configure if a test page is printed upon power up.

Do you have access to the Power Macintosh 8600 mentioned in your original post? If so, do you have the Printer Utility (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Printing/LaserWriter/Apple_Printer_Utility_2.2.img.bin)? That utility would, for example, let you turn the startup page on (if earlier set to off).

Jan

Jan 24, 2016 8:06 AM in response to H AND J

Why can't I print a test page from the host computer? 😕 I can print a test page from the client computer. 🙂

Do you know of any kind software that can create/generate an "old style" test page, say from either the host and/or client computer?

The built-in test page is generated by the Printer itself when it powers on, provided that option is enabled.

Which computer are you calling the host and which are you calling the client? You can poke inside Cups using Terminal to get it to issue a test page, but that is way too much work.

Can I share the client's Wi-Fi and turn it into an AirPrint server?

AirPrint is particular kind of Printer that is intended to service iDevices. The LW 4/600 is not an AirPrint device, but you MAY be able to add some software on a Server to get it to fake it. Odd as it may seem, Wi-Fi is not a requirement for supporting AirPrint Printers.

These add-ons to a computer can support making any network Printer AirPrint-capable:

Handprint Pro

Printopia

Fingerprint2

AirPrinter and lite version

Odd as it may seem, Wi-Fi is not a requirement for supporting AirPrint Printers.

A Wi-Fi access device is usually a Router.

Jan 24, 2016 4:19 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan,

Yes, Jan, I still have the PM8600/350 (resting), but I'd rather keep using the host/print server (iBook), instead of adding another computer into the mix!

The iBook does NOT have a Mac OS Classic installed.

Maybe I could install a Mac OS Classic (9.1/9.2.2?) and could try to using the Printer Utility from that installation of a Mac OS Classic?

Or trying using the link you provided, Jan, for the Apple Printer Utility 2.2 and see which version(s) of Mac OS Classic it will run under.

Keep up the Good Works, Jan 🙂

Again, Thank You for your time, James 🙂

Jan 24, 2016 5:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

The Host is the iBook (OS X 10.4.6)/Print Server and the Client is the MacMini.

I have been able to print a test page from the client under (10.6.8 & 10.11.3).

Just a plain CUPS test page without a lot of vital info, i.e., page count/installed RAM (6MB)/fonts/etc.

What I have read about CUPS from Wikipedia, there is a Printer Utility in the works (Alpha/Beta?).

Do NOT all AirPrint printers have built-in Wi-Fi? I could be all wrong about this assumption! 😕

The add-ons (software) you mentioned, Grant, are for the host/print server and are NOT for the client?

If these add-ons are for the host, probably would NOT run under 10.4.6?

The Wi-Fi device (access point/gateway?) I mentioned in my last reply has an Ethernet port for sharing Internet access via built-in Wi-Fi like a HotSpot device.

I was thinking of adding this device to the Ethernet hub and hopefully provide AirPrint services for the wireless device(s).

Maybe I am all "wet" about this device and it's possible uses? 😕

Once more, I Thank You for your time, Grant

James 🙂

Jan 24, 2016 7:22 PM in response to H AND J

You may be able, in the same way, to use the address localhost:631 in a Browser window on the iBook to talk directly to CUPS and get a test page. If that does not work, it may be that CUPS was not fully implemented in that version of Mac OS X.

There is not a Print Utility in the works, but the one Jan Hedlund pointed out has exactly the capabilities he said -- it can turn on the test page that will print the page count, or it can report the page count (in the Utility). But this printer prints so slowly, it cannot have printed a deadly amount of pages even if someone was pushing it fairly hard.

The add-ons (software) you mentioned, Grant, are for the host/print server and are NOT for the client?

Yes, they are for the host computer. They interpret AirPrint print streams from the client and and change them into regular print streams and send it on the the regular printer.

Your Network should be medium-agnostic. By that I mean it does not care whether data are presented over Ethernet or Wi-Fi, if it is from the same network, it is good. AirPrint does not require direct access to Wi-Fi -- it is printing to the existing devices that are reachable on your local network. You are NOT talking directly to these Printers, you are talking to your Router (through any medium) which is connected to the printer, possibly by Wi-FI, but Wi-Fi is not required. An AirPrint Printer can be connected to a Mac via only USB, and still be reachable from your iPhone.

The device you mentioned is a specialized device for something, but I am not quite sure what. You would be better served by getting a "regular" Dual-band Router, and you can connect your existing Ethernet gear directly to it with a single Ethernet cable.

Also, your current Mac can act as a primitive Wi-Fi gateway through Internet Sharing, so you can fiddle around with this before you buy anything.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Jan 25, 2016 6:13 AM in response to H AND J

James,

If you just want to change the printer startup page from off to on, it may be easier to, temporarily, activate your Power Macintosh 8600. You could then connect the LW 4/600 PS to the printer port of the computer merely for this purpose.

You may even want to consider a permanent connection of the 8600 to a network; either in a separate LocalTalk/PhoneNET section (with other older Macs) or via Ethernet. The 8600 could be an excellent intermediary between old and new systems, since it has SCSI, ADB, serial ports, a CD-ROM drive, a floppy drive and possibly a Zip drive.

If you expect to frequently change printer default settings, and handle fonts etc, you could of course try an appropriate Mac OS version (at least 9.0.4 required?) on the iBook instead. If there is a custom system CD installation option for an Apple Printer Utility, it would probably be wise to use that one. Be prepared to carry out a few experiments to see how the utility would work in connection with the Mini EtherPrint. Booting from Mac OS 9.x and running the utility ought to be OK. The Classic environment (in Mac OS X) is another matter.

The Apple Printer Utility 2.2 needs System 7.1.1 or later.

Jan 25, 2016 12:21 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Like I said before, I'd rather "NOT" add another computer into the mix! 😮

Yes, I could use the PM8600, just for the purpose of generating a test page, but too much of a "PAIN" in the neck to get up & running.

Yes, She (PM8600/350) has all the item(s) you mentioned including the Zip drive, Jan.

Besides, I have a ZIF carrier and a ZIF CPU, that I never got to install into the PM8600/350 to make into a hybrid G3. 🙂

I like the idea of a compact host/print server (iBook), less space/power/accessories/etc.

Yeah, I rather use the iBook to try to have the printer generate an internal test page.

I'll check which version(s) of Mac OS Classic I have that came with the iBook, beside other version(s) I might have.

From what I understand, the Mac OS Classic environment was just a "software" thing and really NOT much of a "hardware" thing? ✅

James

Adding LaserWriter 4/600 PS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.