Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Personal Modem Issue

I have an Apple Personal Modem (A9M0334), and have tried to connect it to my Macintosh Plus as well as my Apple //e. The //e doesn't have any modem software, but the Macintosh has MacTerminal 1.1. Phone cables are plugged into both ports on the modem, one to the wall, and one to a phone. The serial cable is connected, and in the modem port on the Macintosh. However, when I try to dial into a BBS, it tells me that no modem is connected to the computer. The modem makes a beeping sound when I plug it in, along with a quick flash of the red light. Is there something I'm doing wrong in MacTerminal? Is there something wrong with the modem? I've taken it apart, but it seems to be fine. Could something be wrong with the Logic Board on the Macintosh, or is there just some setting that is wrong in MacTerminal? It's set to dial the number at 1200 baud, which the modem should support. It doesn't work at 300 baud either. Is it possible that the BBS is just broken? This problem happens with every BBS that I have tried, so I doubt that.

Macintosh Plus 1MB-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, Most likely converted from a 128k or 512k

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 11:58 PM

>The serial cable is connected, and in the modem port on the Macintosh.

I assume that you have double-checked that it is the correct cable/pinout.

>However, when I try to dial into a BBS, it tells me that no modem is connected to the computer.

Can dialling tones be heard? Any sounds from modems negotiating?

>Could something be wrong with the Logic Board on the Macintosh,

The easiest way would be to test another modem and cable (see Re: Micronet SCSI Utility Problem) connected to the modem port of the Macintosh Plus.

>or is there just some setting that is wrong in MacTerminal?

You may want to carry out a test with a program like Terminal 2.2 (link under the above post).

>Is it possible that the BBS is just broken? This problem happens with every BBS that I have tried, so I doubt that.

Again, try another modem and/or communications program. If one of your friends has a computer equipped with a modem, you may want to try a connection over the phone lines to that machine instead. You could also set up your own direct (local) modem-to-modem connection between two computers (without using the public telephone network), but that usually requires a simple line simulator.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2016 11:58 PM in response to aidancaamano

>The serial cable is connected, and in the modem port on the Macintosh.

I assume that you have double-checked that it is the correct cable/pinout.

>However, when I try to dial into a BBS, it tells me that no modem is connected to the computer.

Can dialling tones be heard? Any sounds from modems negotiating?

>Could something be wrong with the Logic Board on the Macintosh,

The easiest way would be to test another modem and cable (see Re: Micronet SCSI Utility Problem) connected to the modem port of the Macintosh Plus.

>or is there just some setting that is wrong in MacTerminal?

You may want to carry out a test with a program like Terminal 2.2 (link under the above post).

>Is it possible that the BBS is just broken? This problem happens with every BBS that I have tried, so I doubt that.

Again, try another modem and/or communications program. If one of your friends has a computer equipped with a modem, you may want to try a connection over the phone lines to that machine instead. You could also set up your own direct (local) modem-to-modem connection between two computers (without using the public telephone network), but that usually requires a simple line simulator.

Jan 22, 2016 1:00 PM in response to aidancaamano

A first simple test, in order to establish whether the computer communicates with the modem, would be (with the proper settings) to launch the terminal program and then type AT (should appear on the display). If you then press the Enter/Return key, the message on screen should be OK.

Using Terminal 2.2, the procedure would be approx. as follows:

1. Launch the Terminal application.

2. Under the Options menu, choose Communications.

3. Port: Modem Port.

4. Baud: for example, 300 or 1200.

5. Data bits: 8.

6. Parity: none.

7. Stop bits: 1.

8. Handshake: try none to begin with.

9. click OK to close the dialogue box.

10. type AT (or at).

11. check that the text appears on screen.

12. press Enter/Return.

13. check that the modem replies with an OK.

14. other Baud settings can be tested.

15. other Handshake settings can be tested.

Terminal 2.2 can be downloaded, for instance, at http://archive.info-mac.org/_Communication/_Terminal/. The .hqx file must be kept unaltered until on an old Macintosh computer with a built-in floppy drive that can handle 800K (and 1.44 MB) floppy disks. Once there, you would use an appropriate version of StuffIt Expander for the decoding. If you need information about how to handle downloads via various computers/platforms, do not hesitate to post back.

The first simple test procedure, as described above, is similar for many other terminal emulation programs and modems

Feb 25, 2016 9:42 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Good news, and sorry for the late reply, but I got MacTerminal 2.2, and the modem appears to be perfectly functional. I was able to connect to several BBSes, now I just need to find one that loads properly and doesn't require a password! Before I click on the "This solved my question" button, I must ask, do you know of any good password-free BBSes, or a list of BBSes? Also, are any of them on toll-free numbers?

Feb 26, 2016 3:00 AM in response to aidancaamano

Hello,

Glad to hear that it is possible to connect via the terminal program in question. There are not many BBSes any more. Most of them have been replaced by web sites, If still available, a BBS may require special software (such as FirstClass) instead of plain terminal emulation applications. Sorry, but I cannot recommend any BBSes. Could you perhaps try a Google search to see whether Macintosh user groups somewhere still provide BBS access? Otherwise, you may want to set up your own BBS for experiments (for a local connection, if necessary, with a simple line simulator).

Feb 26, 2016 12:52 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I did find a working BBS, called "Heatwave." Anyway, before I close this, do you know of any good modem software for the Apple //e? I tried using MouseTalk but it doesn't seem to recognize the modem. It needs to be compatible with the Apple Personal Modem. Also, I have an iMac G3, and I was wondering if there was a way to somehow connect the two to transfer files. I have AppleWorks with the communications program on the iMac, and MacTerminal 2.2 on the Mac Plus. I tried using a basic telephone cable connected to the Apple Personal Modem through the "wall" port on one end, and the iMac internal modem on the other end. The Mac Plus is connected to the modem through the Modem Serial Port. There is no telephone cable plugged into the other port on the Personal Modem. I tried using this setup, but I can't seem to get the iMac to communicate with the Mac Plus. Are there any settings that you suggest I change? What is the other phone cable port on the Personal Modem used for? (The one that isn't labled "wall.")

Feb 26, 2016 3:03 PM in response to aidancaamano

>Anyway, before I close this, do you know of any good modem software for the Apple //e?

Sorry, someone else will have to help you with Apple IIe software.

>Also, I have an iMac G3, and I was wondering if there was a way to somehow connect the two to transfer files. I have AppleWorks with the communications program on the iMac, and MacTerminal 2.2 on the Mac Plus.

There was an old Apple support article (22229) about how to connect an earlier Macintosh computer to an iMac for file transfers. The software used (on both sides) was ClarisWorks 5.0. This is an approximate adapted summary of the method described:

1. Connect the modems with a phone cable.

2. Open a new ClarisWorks communications document.

3. Connection settings for both computers:

Method: Serial Tool

Baud rate: (try appropriate rates)

Parity: none

Data bits: 8

Stop bits: 1

Handshake: (try appropriate methods)

Port: (choose appropriate ports)

4. File transfer settings:

Protocol: XMODEM Tool

Method: MacBinary

Transfer options: Standard

5. On the receiving computer, select a receiving folder.

6. Open the connection (in order to be able to type AT commands).

7. Type ATD on the sending computer.

8. Type ATA on the receiving computer.

9. The modems should begin to negotiate.

10. When connected, select Send File from the Session menu on the sending computer.

11. Click the Send button.

12. Select Receive File from the Session menu on the receiving computer.

13. The computers should begin sending and receiving the file using XMODEM.

You could adapt the above method to suit your needs. For example, a program like Terminal 2.2 could be tested on one or both computers (with the necessary handling changes). Also, using a terminal emulation program with ZMODEM file transfer capabilities on both sides will make it easier to establish a connection.

My experience with a direct (local) modem-to-modem (RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable) connection is that it is not at all sure that the modems really begin negotiating. In order to make it work, a line simulator is often needed. Basically, one can build a very simple line simulator from a (modified) standard RJ-11 to RJ-11 phone cable, a 330 Ohm resistor, a 9 Volt battery and a battery contact. A line simulator is only for a direct local connection, NEVER for a connection to the public phone lines.

>I tried using a basic telephone cable connected to the Apple Personal Modem through the "wall" port on one end, and the iMac internal modem on the other end.

That should be OK, but a line simulator may or may not be needed.

>The Mac Plus is connected to the modem through the Modem Serial Port.

Yes, that would be the normal way.

>There is no telephone cable plugged into the other port on the Personal Modem.

OK

>I tried using this setup, but I can't seem to get the iMac to communicate with the Mac Plus. Are there any settings that you suggest I change?

See above.

>What is the other phone cable port on the Personal Modem used for?

As I understand it, one port is for the phone line and one for a telephone set. I do not know whether there is an actual difference between the two ports.

Apple Personal Modem Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.